• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

secret shopper and bank problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rowan602

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

A friend of mine got scammed, big time. She was offered a job by one of those secret shopper programs. She was supposed to evaluate the people at a money-gram place. The secret shopper company sent her a cashier's check, which she was supposed to cash and use the money to send a money gram. She took the check to her bank. Her bank called the bank the check was issued from and was told that the account and check were valid, so they gave her the money the next day. It turns out that the check was not valid. Now the bank is telling her that she needs to pay back the money. She later discovered that the bank had actually received an alert about this particular scam and still cashed the check. Is she responsible to pay back the money? It seems to me as though it is the bank's responsibility, as they failed to properly verify that the check was valid before disbursing the funds. Am I wrong? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, she's really having a rough time right now.

Thanks,
Melissa

S

shell007

Rowan602 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

A friend of mine got scammed, big time. She was offered a job by one of those secret shopper programs. She was supposed to evaluate the people at a money-gram place. The secret shopper company sent her a cashier's check, which she was supposed to cash and use the money to send a money gram. She took the check to her bank. Her bank called the bank the check was issued from and was told that the account and check were valid, so they gave her the money the next day. It turns out that the check was not valid. Now the bank is telling her that she needs to pay back the money. She later discovered that the bank had actually received an alert about this particular scam and still cashed the check. Is she responsible to pay back the money? It seems to me as though it is the bank's responsibility, as they failed to properly verify that the check was valid before disbursing the funds. Am I wrong? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, she's really having a rough time right now.

Thanks,
Melissa
She owes the money, scam or no scam!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">