• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Section 8 Housing Assistance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vsmith727

Chicago area (south suburbs)
Need advice on this unfortunate situation:
My cousin has a Section 8 Housing Voucher. She has a job bringing home $120 per week with 3 children and 1 grandchild. The rent on the house is $750/month and Section 8 mails that amount to the landlord every month. The landlord told my cousin that she would rather have $1000/month so she wants my cousin to give her an extra $250 out of her pocket each month. That is taking half the money she makes for the month. My cousin paid the landlord $250 for the last 3 months but she cannot do it any longer and the landlord is threatening her with eviction. The landlord continues to get a monthly check from Section 8 for $750. This is a year long lease (signed in August 2002). Can this landlord actually evict my cousin because she failed to pay to the landlord "under the table" money? What recourse would my cousin have. This is really taking advantage of the poor.

HomeGuru

vsmith727 said:
Chicago area (south suburbs)
Need advice on this unfortunate situation:
My cousin has a Section 8 Housing Voucher. She has a job bringing home $120 per week with 3 children and 1 grandchild. The rent on the house is $750/month and Section 8 mails that amount to the landlord every month. The landlord told my cousin that she would rather have $1000/month so she wants my cousin to give her an extra $250 out of her pocket each month. That is taking half the money she makes for the month. My cousin paid the landlord $250 for the last 3 months but she cannot do it any longer and the landlord is threatening her with eviction. The landlord continues to get a monthly check from Section 8 for $750. This is a year long lease (signed in August 2002). Can this landlord actually evict my cousin because she failed to pay to the landlord "under the table" money? What recourse would my cousin have. This is really taking advantage of the poor.

**A: what is the amount of the monthly rent as stated in the Section 8 lease agreement and are there any addition amounts of monthly rent stated such as for parking, utilities etc.?

V

vsmith727

My cousin signed a 1 year lease for $750 per month. The landlady told her in advance that she really wants $1000 per month, but since Section 8 will only pay $750 per month (after inspections, this is the amount the agency says the house is worth), she wants an additional $250 from my cousin in cash. There is nothing on paper saying my cousin has to pay $1000 ($750 from Section 8 and $250 cash).

FarmerJ

VS ( I used to participate in section 8 when I had rentals ) what the LL has asked for is what the program calls a side payment . It is a violation of the program . Tell your family member to write a letter and send it certified to the LL that she will not make any side payments , and remind the LL that ( tenant ) will pay what the program tells her to . If the LL needs rent over and above the amount on the lease the LL will have to choose not renewing the lease and getting the higher amount from someone who will not be a participant of section 8 . your relatives section 8 case worker can also be of help to her .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">