• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Section 8 penalties?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frinniekins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

I know a guy that lives in an apartment funded by NYCHA. His rent is $300 per month. He rents out two of the rooms illegally for $300 each. My boyfriend got kicked out of his house last summer and this guy rented out one of the rooms for $300. This guy tried to flirt with me/ harass me, try to turn me and my bf against eachother [but failed miserably]. After he saw that we were still happy with eachother, he began to harass us. He would come in the room acting like its his own property, having no respect whatsoever. He even punched my bf once when he was intoxicated for no good reason. He would try to piss me off deliberately to the point where I was yelling at him, telling him what a piece of **** he is. Next day theres a sign on the door saying that I have to pay 40 bucks rent if I wanna stay over with my bf. I told his mom [who lives in the living room couch, that the guy does NOTHING for... he uses all the money he gets on insane amounts of drugs including herion, coke, prescription drugs. I feel bad for his mom because her son is completely out of his control] that if he really thinks I will pay anything i will report him for harassment. So me and my boyfriend go out for a while, come back and see a sign saying "evicted", the door knob broken, all his stuff cleared into a pile in the corner and his pc broken..... before i left I sed "goodbye loser" and he ran out his room and pushed me down the stairs and dragged me out the door by pulling my hair. This guy also has a gun so I am paranoid he will find my boyfriend and try to kill him if I report this

I want to know what I can do about this situation and what can be the penalties for thhat scum.

BL

Your BF and you had no problem with living in the Apt. unauthorized .

Why did you not call the police ?

FarmerJ

If it is reported to his housing program that he is having others live with him and pay him rent his penalty could be that his HAP ( housing assistance program ) might be reduced to cover his failing to report the income-change in housing arrangements. It really sounds like the best thing to do may be for his tenant to call police report the assualt and move out. I predict he would not bother to sue for lack of notice because he 1, wouldnt want to risk any part of the SYSTEM learning he has been cheating a housing program( because if it was learned of in court that he was cheating housing program he risk the court forwarding the info to the housing program , 2 because short term he likely will just find another tenant who blissfully would be happy to pay since 300.00 is not much money. So in the end the penalty to him for cheating might only cost him a rent abatement ( reduction in the contracted part of what the housing program pays since his contract obligates him to pay what ever amount they do not. At the very worst he will have to deal with the consequence of the assault and places his HAP at risk of losing it. So his tenant is better off moving and using a post office box as new mail address to forward mail to for a while after moving out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">