• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Section 8 question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rowan602

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I live in fourplex that is individually owned. I am a section 8 tenant. My neighbors are being evicted and they believe it is my fault. My landlord suggested I have my son's father stay with me, for my protection, until they are gone and have not tried to contact me for a few weeks. Do I need to report his being here to section 8? This is only a temporary situation, until I am sure that the other tenants will not retaliate against me for what they believe to be an eviction that is my fault. If I do report him being here, can I report him as a guest? Or do I have to add him onto my voucher, which will raise my rent? If anybody could help me out here, I'd be really appreciative. I want to do the right thing and report his being here if I'm supposed to.

Thanks!

Rowan602

additional question

Okay, so the former tenant came back this morning and started a fight. I told my son's father not to answer the door, but the guy wouldn't quit pounding, it was 2 am, and we didn't want him waking up my kids.He started an argument, threatened my son's father(told him he was going to find out where he worked and go there) The police came at about 5 am this morning(I called them at 3, right after he went outside) He has been evicted, he was supposed to be out on Saturday, but I guess came back this morning to get the last of his stuff. I'm not sure how he got in, as the landlord changed the lock on the front door. He went outside, waited a few minutes, then left. We went outside this morning and my tire has been slashed on my Mom's car that I am using.

I imagine there's nothing in the law that will help me, but I'd like to talk to my landlord about moving. I don't feel safe here anymore. I'm a single parent with two small children, so it's not like I can just run if he comes back, I have to make sure my children are safe, and I can't carry both of them. Is there anything about the situation that would allow me to get out of my lease? Or do I have to rely on the kindness of my landlord to be let out of my lease? The former tenant claims that my landlord sent him a letter stating that the reason they were evicted was because I told her I didn't want them living there. I don't think she did that, she's an awesome landlord, but if she did, does she have any liability for their harrassment of me?

I'm sorry, I realize this is rather long, but any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">