• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Breached!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KatieNM

What is the name of your state? Texas

I recently just moved into an apartment with two other roomates(males)...I am 18/f.When we first moved in we noticed that the sliding glass door go outside to the patio did not lock at all. Immediatly I called the office to report it. I must have called almost everyday to complain about the door. You see my roomates both work the same graveyard shift at the county jail on the same days, leaving me alone in the house with a back door that didnt lock. It finally took them a month to fix the door....among other things, what I noticed is we never knew when they had fixed these things b/c they never left work orders and never came in when we were there. One morning I woke up and heard someone in my bathroom...I thought this was really strange because my roomates never enter my room without knocking and I would have heard becasue I am a light sleeper...I went back to sleep...I though maybe a roomate had went in there to get something i had borrowed....when I woke up next a construction worker was standing over my bed aparently watching me sleep..I totaly freaked out and let the main office have it..Of course they apologized...they said the reason he was in there was to cailk the bath tub...Which I thought was funny because after leaving there amonth they were just now caulking the bathtub?The bathtub had been caulked and nobody had called them to caulk it...plus he had only been in my room and not my roomates...Ever since this has happend I have been staying at my mothers houyse and now want to break my lease....but the property manager will not let me....So now I am planning to take her to court...I have been researching everything about tenant-landlord laws but i cant find anything about construction workers enetering the house without or consent or anything like that...If someone knows anything about this that will help me out please let me know!!Thanks!

Last edited:

E

eberha14

I don't believe there is a statute in Texas requiring specific notice before entering the apartment. However, common law/case law would still require this in all fifty states, unless you waived this right in your lease.

However, the entrance of the maintenance person into your apartment unannounced, without notice, and entering your bedroom are definitely serious matters. It is one of the most common complaints by tenants.

If you want to know what you may sue for:
invasion of privacy
breach of the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment
trespassing issues

In the meantime, you could write a formal letter by certified mail, return receipt requested + restricted delivery(r.d. if landlord is individual and not management company). In the letter, you could demand that the landlord cease and desist from making unlawful, unannounced entries into your apartment and that you consider such entries to be trespassing. You should also list the full history of such intrusions in the letter, including dates and what exactly took place.

If there were more unannounced entries after writing your letter, it would greatly improve your chances of a successful lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">