• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security clearance drug use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AaAa

What is the name of your state? VA

I am 22 yrs old college student and recently got job offer from Govt. that I think requires Top Secret Clearance. My legal record and financial record are clean.

However, I have smoked marijuana during my college. About 10 uses in 2004 and then twice (2) in 2005. So, I have been clean since Jan 2006. I have passed 3 drug tests and have held 3 jobs since quitting. It was a mistake I made, but since then I have moved on.

How bad is this going to look on my application? Thanks.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? VA

I am 22 yrs old college student and recently got job offer from Govt. that I think requires Top Secret Clearance. My legal record and financial record are clean.

However, I have smoked marijuana during my college. About 10 uses in 2004 and then twice (2) in 2005. So, I have been clean since Jan 2006. I have passed 3 drug tests and have held 3 jobs since quitting. It was a mistake I made, but since then I have moved on.

How bad is this going to look on my application? Thanks.
**A: how come you think and you don't know for a fact?

AaAa

Homeguru: Because they haven't specifically told me what kind of clearance. They just said security clearance. But, since Top Secret is most stringent, I was wondering my chances there. I have good recommendation from my managers and good grades. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

racer72: that will get me in even more trouble. I have been clean and no one I hang out with it is into drugs.

mlane58

Homeguru: Because they haven't specifically told me what kind of clearance. They just said security clearance. But, since Top Secret is most stringent, I was wondering my chances there. I have good recommendation from my managers and good grades. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

racer72: that will get me in even more trouble. I have been clean and no one I hang out with it is into drugs.
Heres the rub: The level of clearance will depend on the psoition you hold. The lowest being an NAC. If you do indeed need a anything above a secret, plan on any friends, employers, co-workers, and/or relatives to be interviewed about whether they have ever seen you use illegal drugs, have alcohol or financial problems, etc..... Don't lie as it will end any career you might have thought about having with the government or any company doing government contracts.

ajsaz

Tell them

I agree with mlane58. Tell them.

Depending on the type of security clearance, they will ask people who knew you for names
of other people who knew you, and they will interview them. If you tell them know, and
some people say yes, youre out. Be up front, and explain it to them. They are trying to
find out about the type of person you are, and you don't want to be someone who lies
in the investigaytion.

publius999

As a practical matter, the only way they will know of drug use is if there is a criminal record or you tell them. They don't have the resources for otherwise.

A bit of pot smoking in college, etc. is no problem. But, a history of even one episode of "social" marijuana use in the last year automatically disqualifies you. So, if you feel the need to confess, wait at least a year since the last use.

Sandyhenley20

Security Clearance

I'm no expert ~ but from what I've heard people mention over the years, if you are applying for a special job with the government, they do a lot of digging around to find out things about you.

They supposedly try to interview people about you in person. They ask former and current neighbors, employers, co-workers, teachers, ex-girlfriends/ex-boyfriends, etc.

If those rumors are true, if someone decides to tell damaging information about you, then you may not get the position.

What not just stop wondering about it? Doesn't seem like anything you can do about it now.

Proserpina

I'm no expert ~ but from what I've heard people mention over the years, if you are applying for a special job with the government, they do a lot of digging around to find out things about you.

They supposedly try to interview people about you in person. They ask former and current neighbors, employers, co-workers, teachers, ex-girlfriends/ex-boyfriends, etc.

If those rumors are true, if someone decides to tell damaging information about you, then you may not get the position.

What not just stop wondering about it? Doesn't seem like anything you can do about it now.

And which part of "don't necropost" did you not grasp? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">