• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance - Past Credit Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caliliving927

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi, I am receiving an offer from a Govt. Contractor that requires me to obtain a Secret Clearance. About 2 years ago when I was still in college I got into a bad habit of overspending mostly due to my being embarrassed to ask for financial help from my family. I have 3 defaulted CCs and all of them are now paid with Zero Debt. I have been current with all my CCs for about 2 years now since I graduated and started working. I have a credit score about 660 and have a very low debt:credit ratio. I have no criminal convictions, no abuse of any substances, and otherwise clean record. What are the chances that this could cause major problems?

swalsh411

I have known many people with horrible finances (bankruptcy, garnishments, tax liens, defaults) who held S and TS clearances so I will say with almost complete certainty that a few past credit card issues will not stop your clearance, especially since they are now resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">