• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance question please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toidinami

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I'm looking for some good advise, I don't know what to do. I was accepted for a military job (I'm currently civilian) which I'm supposed to start march 29th. A Secret Clearance is required and they have already done my background check, I submitted the clearance paperwork, and an investigator has interviewed me, but I don't know the status of the clearance right now. I didn't lie at all about any of the information I gave them. My problem is I was charged with a DUI last week. I reported this to my point of contact in the military and was positive he would tell me sorry but I was out. Instead he told me not to say anything about it and to get it taken care of in court. I'm not too worried about the civilian side, it's a first offense and my BAC was barely over the legal limit, my lawyer is very optimistic about getting the charge lowered. I really don't believe that this will just stay hidden from the military or DOD even if they have already completed their investigations. From my understanding they re-check your clearance every 5 or so years? I haven't lied to anyone and I don't want to. I feel like if I take the advise I've been given they will find out eventually and I will be denied the clearance and be dishonorably discharged. Also, my point of contact made it seem like this wasn't that big of a deal since i was already selected, I want to believe that but I really don't. This is a great opportunity for me and I want to serve my country very badly but I feel like I've just screwed myself out of it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

FlyingRon

They will probably find out before the five year investigation. Stay above board about it and do not lie. A traffic conviction (even a misdemeanor one for DUI) is not necessarily going to kill your clearance. I've got a guy working for me who spent eight days in jail over a criminal traffic violation and he still got a TS/SCI.

mrx1350

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I'm looking for some good advise, I don't know what to do. I was accepted for a military job (I'm currently civilian) which I'm supposed to start march 29th. A Secret Clearance is required and they have already done my background check, I submitted the clearance paperwork, and an investigator has interviewed me, but I don't know the status of the clearance right now. I didn't lie at all about any of the information I gave them. My problem is I was charged with a DUI last week. I reported this to my point of contact in the military and was positive he would tell me sorry but I was out. Instead he told me not to say anything about it and to get it taken care of in court. I'm not too worried about the civilian side, it's a first offense and my BAC was barely over the legal limit, my lawyer is very optimistic about getting the charge lowered. I really don't believe that this will just stay hidden from the military or DOD even if they have already completed their investigations. From my understanding they re-check your clearance every 5 or so years? I haven't lied to anyone and I don't want to. I feel like if I take the advise I've been given they will find out eventually and I will be denied the clearance and be dishonorably discharged. Also, my point of contact made it seem like this wasn't that big of a deal since i was already selected, I want to believe that but I really don't. This is a great opportunity for me and I want to serve my country very badly but I feel like I've just screwed myself out of it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You have nothing to worry about as long as you don't hide anything. DUI is very common and its definitely not a show stopper for getting a government clearance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">