• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LookingClear

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am currently going through the process of being cleared for Secret clearance and after that Top Secret. Why my employer chooses to do it that way, I'm not sure but it is inconsequential.

My question is this:

I have good credit and no criminal convictions and a more or less spotless background for security clearance.

However, I have two brothers who are much different than myself. Both of them have criminal backgrounds (one for drugs and the other for domestic issues with their spouse) and haven't had near the success in their careers that I have had. When interviewed (not likely for Secret, but I would imagine they will be for TS), I can see them potentially trying to screw up my chances at getting clearance.

I will not hide them from the investigators but this still bothers me to know that either of them could have an affect on my own career. Is it possible that I could be denied clearance because of things they may say (even if they are lies)?

I assume the obvious answer to this is that, yes this could cause me to not get clearance. So the better question is...if all of my other references check out perfectly (every reference I listed has their security clearance already), is it LIKELY that my brothers can cause me to lose my job and clearance?

Thanks in advance for being willing to help out. I'm sure there will be mixed opinions on this but I couldn't really find much of an answer either way so I would appreciate our input.

Also: What is the best way for me to handle them when asked about my family during a clearance interview?

Last edited:

redleg17

If you're asked about your family at the interview.....answer truthfully. The interviewer has a lot of work to do, and it's not a "social call", you can assume that if the interviewer asks you a question, they may know the answer already.

Background checks are hurt more by failing to disclose information than they are by the information itself.

jsmith416

Whether or not something about your background of family bothers you in terms of your ability to be granted a clearance is irrelevant. The process is the same for everybody seeking a clearance. The bottom line here is to answer all questions truthfully.

You are under no obligation to accept a job which requires this type of background investigation. If you do choose to pursue such a job then you are obligated to answer all questions truthfully. Unlike background checks with private employers, there CAN be criminal liability if you lie attempting to obtain a security clearance.

If either of your brothers got into trouble again, and he needed you to steal secrets in order to get him out, would you? That's what the investigator wants to find out. You need to show that you are capable of "tough love", leaving your brothers to the consequences of their actions without coming to the rescue and bailing them out.

LookingClear

If either of your brothers got into trouble again, and he needed you to steal secrets in order to get him out, would you? That's what the investigator wants to find out. You need to show that you are capable of "tough love", leaving your brothers to the consequences of their actions without coming to the rescue and bailing them out.
If that is the case then I guess I will be alright as we no longer talk because I don't approve of the life decisions they have made.

I appreciate everybody's wisdom, thanks for taking the time to reply.

cyjeff

For what it is worth, the reason they are doing a secret clearance and then a top secret clearance is the difference in the cost and effort.

A top secret clearance involves a substantially higher level of involvement... including interviews with those that know you.

If you don't pass the secret clearance, the government will have saved themselves a LOT of money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">