• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance Re-apply

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nino12661

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC
I am eligible to re-apply for my security clearance after the 1 year waiting period next month. I have since paid off all my debt (except 1) which caused my original termination (Guideline F) of my security clearance. That particular debt has passed the 7 year period which we are required to report on. My question is: Will I need to report this debt which was apart of my original clearance being revoked or am I clear since it goes back over 7 years ago? It is a little confusing on my part to understand the guidelines for this particular instance.

Thanks for you time and advice on this matter.

George

You don't need to mention things beyond the time period asked about. I did a couple of times, and they just ignored it. They even acted a bit put out that I was wasting their time by mentioning things they didn't ask about.

Be sure the time period is actually 7 years though. The SF86 paperwork uses a 7 year period everywhere, but then for Top Secret clearances they trot out an additional form that mentions that you should really go back 10 years due to some executive order.

The form will ask about prior clearances, so the revoked clearance will come up. If asked about the circumstances in a personal interview, explain the situation in full, including the remaining debt, and let the investigator decide what to put in his report. You don't want to come across as evasive in any way.

nino12661

The problem is my clearance was revoked based on a financial issue that at the time fell into the 7 year window. Now that I can re-apply (1 year later) that financial issue is past 7 years. Will DOHA still require me to rectify the issue since that was why I originally had my clearance revoked or since it is out of the 7 year window is it ignored?

I will submit my SF 86 thru the normal process but since I was revoked I need to be cleared thru DOHA first before the normal process continues.

Thanks

nino12661

Help??

Any suggestions? Initial financial concern which clearance was revoked on is now past 7 years, will they still inquiry about it or since the 7 year window has passed I am clear?
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">