• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security deposit dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formerrenter05

What is the name of your state? I live in Texas.
My husband and I sent a letter to company who leased us a property that we disputed all of the charges they kept from our security deposit. Out of $750, they kept $350. Some of the items they charged for are even illegal according to the lease, like transfer fees to put electricity back into owner's name. They also refused to do a walk-through with us upon moving out. So any of the charges they stipulate, we can't physically disprove. We sent a letter asking for our $350 back and responses for our questions within 10 days of receipt of letter. They signed and dated 7/27/05. It's been over a month and no response. We've called twice. They said it was not between us and them anymore. It's now an issue between us and the owner. So they transferred the call to the owner (who also owns the leasing company). We got voicemail and no return call. Do we have a case to proceed to small claims court, or should we send another letter threatening legal action? We're already out $350. I don't want to be out more if we should lose for some reason!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">