• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit Increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AlisonSD

i am in san diego, california. i have been renting the same house with the same landlord since april of 1989. in the rental agreement i signed, the security deposit was $1000, which was paid upon move-in. i received a phone call from my land lord demanding another $600 towards the security deposit, for no particular reason. is this legal?

FarmerJ

It is not unheard of for landlords to increase deposits on units they rented to tenants after several years or more . everything elses cost has changed upwards . As for telling you on the phone you do realise that your LL should have made any notice to you in writting ? As to wether you are just a month to month tenant now where your LL only need to give you 30day notice to move out carefully review your lease .

HomeGuru

AlisonSD said:
i am in san diego, california. i have been renting the same house with the same landlord since april of 1989. in the rental agreement i signed, the security deposit was $1000, which was paid upon move-in. i received a phone call from my land lord demanding another $600 towards the security deposit, for no particular reason. is this legal?
**A: how much is your current monthly rent? Did you read the L/T law titled CA Civil Code yet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">