• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

security deposit (normal wear and tear)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NHfather

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire, First an inconsequential yet determining fact. We have a 2 & 3 year old with leaky sippy cups( thus my question about carpets) We've been renting a brand new home for about 2 years now landlord seams ok but openly admits to be anal. (former tenants burned the old home to the ground), we on the other hand were only unable to prevent drink stains from forming all over the carpets we do use a carpet cleaner but that does little more then fade the stains I've yet to have it professionally done(and I will) I'd just like to know if having the 2 leaky sippy cups running around be considered normal wear and tear or can I be subject to replacing stained carpet?

Thanks
Marty

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Please hold the carpet up to the monitor so we can have a look and then respond with the correct interpretation.
Yeah, but look at that stain over there (------>).

That does NOT look like normal wear and tear to me!

NHfather

security deposit

ok here's a look at one stain look close did you see it
ok great so what the deal i'd just like to know whats concidered normal wear and tear

Holy ****, is this the same NH slumlord under yet a third ID, this time posing as the tenant, trying to get a different answer?????????

NHfather

mess on the carpet

Thanks for all the posts, BelizeBreeze so there's no precedent, just up to bench discretion?

Singlemom no I'm just a renter who's looking for answers on what's considered normal W/T
Queenofsand you make it sound like I'm doing it on a whim it's been going on from birth the stains at first in the crib from dropped baby bottles to a sippy cup tipped over and leaking on the floor, carpet, couch or chair there every where. so, either that's normal or????
remember there 2 and 3 years olds here OK
i just would like to know if this could be a problem

acmb05

You do know that carelessnesss is not the same thing as normal wear and tear don't you?:D

Normal wear would be things like where the carpet was pushed down by furniture, dirty carpets from everyday walking on them, and just down right old carpet freying. Spilling things on the carpet is not normal wear and tear because not everyone does it.That would be like saying you fell asleep with a smoke in your hand and it fell on the floor and burned a hole in the carpet.

Have them cleaned and see if the stain comes out, if it does not then expect to pay to have it replaced. If it is a fairly new home(2 years old) don't expect much depreciation.

What acmb05 said.

Here's the deal...it's choices and consequences.

My kids are grown and I have toddler-aged grandkids, so I'm quite familiar with sippy cup thrills and spills :D

I had a friend who complained about her KoolAid stained couch. I said 'don't blame the kid blame the mommy'. Truly an AHA! moment for the mommy.

If you have a 'sippy cup-free' zone in some areas, guess what???? The chance of spills is nil.

If you permit wandering sippy cups in your landlord's carpeted residence, you are responsible when operator-errors occur.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. The carpet makers are in cahoots with the sippy cup manufacturers. Sippy cups give parents a false sense of security. In the olden days it was obvious, a parent could easily see the effects of sloshing and gravity. So they quickly learned (a) a moving cup caused messes, (b) to never put more in a cup than you wanted to wipe up and (c) confine the cup to easy to clean surfaces.

Carpet profits were down because vinyl and wood surfaces were not permanently damaged by spills. Soooooo, carpet makers invented a cup with a lid. Woohoo! Toddlers with lidded cups were seen lounging on sofas; building Lego enclosures for sippy cups smack dab in the middle of the living room carpet then crash landling a purple dinosaur into the carefully crafted Lego mansion. A kid could even rush to the potty with lidded cup in tow--filling the bladder while emptying the bladder. KoolAid mustaches had all but vanished.

Over time, spots began to appear on Grandma's Persian rug and cat. Spots could be found in autos. On damask bedspreads. My gawd, spots were everywhere!!!!!

By the time parents realized those innocuous lidded cups had tiny slits, it was too late. While those tiny slits allowed controlled amounts for hydration of parched toddlers, there were no sensors or regulators to distinguish between the soft tissues of the mouth and the soft cushiony surfaces of carpets or fabrics.

Carpets no longer had indefinite lifespans. Manufacturers ramped up the looms. Miles and miles of carpet fibers were needed because of Welch's grape juice and Hi-C fruit punch. Tiny slits in lidded cups single handedly increased carpet profits. Sure-Fit and Oxy Clean CEOs were tra la la-ing all the way to the bank, too.

You can probably find a bargain-priced Spot Bot on eBay. Get to it.:)

ecmst12

Spills happen, with kids and grownups :) The carpet cleaners you can rent at the supermarket do a surprisingly good job of getting the stuff out though! Good luck :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">