• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abc1xyz

What is the name of your state? CA
Hi, I am from Santa Clara, CA. I've vacated my previous apartment on Aug 31, and had a move-out inspection on
Sep 3. I've cleaned the unit very well, I vacuumed the carpet, cleaned everything in the kitchen and bathroom,
mopped the floors in the kitchen, dining area, and bathroom. At the move-out inspection, even the manager said it's
clean but the carpet needs shampoo.We both agreed on carpet needs shampoo and walls need painting and signed
the inspection form. As I've lived there for 4 1/2 years, they can't charge me for painting. When I asked my landlord
about the painting charges, they said they charge the tenants for painting no matter how long they live. But CA law
says if you live in a unit for more than 2 years, you can't be charged for painting no matter how bad it is. I expected
them to send my security deposit back within 21 days. But yesterday I got the letter from them saying that there are
damages to the carpet and painting beyond normal wear and tear and they haven't estimated the costs to repair
them. They also said that the unit needs cleaning. And it may take 30 - 60 days to return the deposit. I've paid them
$1300 as security deposit. How can I get my security deposit back? I've heard that according to the california law,
if the landlord doesn't return the deposit within 21 days, they loose the right to hold any amount of it and have to
return it fully. Is it true? Thanks a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">