• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikejackson

In Southern California (LA area) my neighbor has been here four years. Like everyone else, his lease has expired and faces yearly rental increases. Our rents are equal and I have only been here for two years. Here is the problem; I have $1200.00 Security deposit, and he along with a few others tenants only have $550.00. Now the owner has served six people with notice of secruity deposit increases! I really don't believe it is legal, but then I'm not an attorney either. Here is the real kicker, they use his apartment as a model, as it is beautiful! Can an owner raise secruity deposit on tenants whom are basically month to month just to keep them on par with other tenants? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

ALawyer

Absent a local ordinance, such as they have in Santa Monica, Berkeley and San Francisco, month-to-month tenants have little or no protection.

The landlord could increase the rent 10 fold.

But many states and cities have rules on security deposits and interest thereon. Check with your town or county housing daepartment. I am not a Real Estate lawyer.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Amount of security deposits generally covered in the leases. Check your leases, then, if necessary, query again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">