• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

congie

I was a tenant in a house with my husband and 3 children here in South Carolina for almost two years. We initially had a one year lease and then went monthly after the year was up. The problem is this, we have been renting from a reality company since the beginning adnd when we were moving we did everything we were supposed to. We had the walk-through and the reality manager told me it looked good but that the homeowner wanted to see it. So the homeowner came down and looked. It is up for sale and he hadn't seen it since it was bought 10 years earlier. Well the reality manager drew up an agreement that we signed that if the work they wanted was done we would get our security minus the cost to repair the carpet. Well today I find out that we are getting nothing. I did alot of work in that house since we moved in, we were good tenants who never complained and even let people walk thru it to buy and rent it for months! I am sick that this is happening to me! I feel totally taken advantage of....just because the house is for sale! I would have been better off doing nothing when we left! Is there anything we can do?

HomeGuru

What do you want to do? When did you move out? Did the mgt. cocmpany give you an itemized list of deductions from your security deposit in writing? If so, when?

C

congie

What I want is my security deposit back, at least most of it! I take responsibility for normal wear and tear. We moved out November 3. The only thing I have gotten as far as a list was a list of repairs that I agreed to do which both the reality company and I signed, which did say that the cost of repairing the carpet would be deducted. I did my part of the list and even video taped a before and after. I have recieved nothing in writing as of yet for any costs out of my security deposit, nor did I recieve any of the deposit.I am assuming from what the reality manager said that she will get one more carpet person to look at it and see if it can be fixed, at least I asked her to. Thank you for your timely response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">