• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stevensh

Problem: (in Conyers, GA)
--I signed a 1-year lease agreement in which ended 10/31/00.
--The lessor did not send me the new lease agreement until 11/04/00 for me to sign.
--Meanwhile the apartment manager told me that my rent is $10.00 higher starting 11/01/00
--I did not sign the new lease
--I wrote a letter, dated 11/08/00, stated that I was moving out by the end of the month.
--A week later they sent me a notice saying that I will have to pay up 12/31/00 and I will not receive my $500.00 deposit.

Question:
If I pay up to 12/31/00 shouldn’t I receive my deposit back?

The lease agreement states that the security deposit will not be refunded if lessee breaks the lease and moves prior to lease expiration.

I did not break my lease or moved out early.

D

David J. Miller

Assuming there is no damage to the property you should get your security deposit back.

I am not familiar with GA L/T statutes, but this would be true in mine and most states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">