• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Judy Scott

We helped our daughter pay a security deposit on a house. She advised the landlord of her intent to move within the designated timeframe, complied with lease and was paid up thru the 31st of the month. We did some of the cleaning on the 30th and was going to finish on the 31st. The landlord appeared on the 30th and 31st to do work on the house, such as repairs associated with age that our daughter had asked for througout her time there, like broken basement metal rails and cutting down dead trees. Now the landlord will not return the security deposit, citing damages to the house,(we cleaned and no damages existed) complaints from neighbors (we asked neighbors and no one complained), an re-sowed grass in the backyard (previous renter had large dog). What can we do to recap this money without too much expense, we're talking about a $500. security deposit in the state of Virginia.

HomeGuru

Take L to Small Claims Court but your daughter has to be the Plaintiff not you. You can be a testifying witness.

HomeGuru

Take L to Small Claims Court but your daughter has to be the Plaintiff not you. You can be a testifying witness.

J

Judy Scott

the only contact we have had with owner is 2 phone calls we made to inquire about the refund of the security deposit. isn't the owner required to formally notify us if they are witholding the deposit and send an itemization or are we to request it?

HomeGuru

Yes the owner has that obligation. Since you did not state the month that was involved, I could not determine whether you have additional claims. By L/T law, L is required to return the deposit by a certain date and if there are deductions must inform T of the deductions also within a specified number of days.
You need to review the VA L/T laws to see what your daughter's remedies are.
If your daughter has just moved out in November, L still has time to comply with the respective laws.

J

Judy Scott

sorry about that. no more shouting
they moved out in july of this year, 2000.
and, what is the easiest (and least expensive) way to locate what the virginia law is on the matter?

HomeGuru

You hit the tenant jackpot.
Go to State Resources on this website and search for the Virginia L/T laws.
It is free so take advantage.

J

Judy Scott

how much of a jackpot?
i went to state resources and found what i need.
I LOVE YOU HOME GURU

[Edited by Judy Scott on 12-05-2000 at 03:05 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">