• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking best representation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justaguyguy

tennessee

Hi,

Now going through a divorce. Google and the internet search engines seem to bump up a lot of under qualified or not as highly skilled attorneys from which to choose. Is there a site or organization whereby candidates are actually rating faithfully and accurately? Not Avvo where fake ratings are generated. Something real? Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Is there a site or organization whereby candidates are actually rating faithfully and accurately?
If there is, it's well hidden as I've never seen such a site or listing of trustworthy rankings of all lawyers in the country or even in the jurisdictions in which I practice. There are handful of divorce attorneys in each place I practice who have a well known reputation among attorneys for being very good divorce attorneys (and who also, generally, charge higher fees than most, as a result of that reputation) and there are some others whom I know personally as being pretty good (and more reasonable rates). I give a list of both those groups to clients who ask for referrals to divorce attorneys. But I couldn't tell you how good or bad most of the other attorneys where I practice are and I have never seen any rankings of them that I would consider very reliable.

I can find out (and so can the public) which attorneys have been sanctioned by the state Supreme Court for misconduct, and of course I recommend people generally stay away from those attorneys unless, perhaps, the misconduct was not very serious and happened some time ago since people can learn from their mistakes. I also would stay away from the divorce lawyers (at least where I practice) who aggressively advertise, especially the ones that seem to make promises of outcomes or say things like they are "bull dog" lawyers. Those types tend to run a high volume business premised on quick settlements and not very good client service. Many good lawyers do marketing, but you can get a sense of the ones that might be the more suspect ones by the way in which they advertise. (Classy marketing, on the other hand, is no guarantee they are good, of course.)

In the end, though, the best way to find a good lawyer (or doctor, CPA, architect, etc) is by referrals from people you know who have had experience with them.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Taxing, posting history.
The question he started this thread with, however, is a perfectly good one and one that other people have asked me before. So the answer might help others wondering the same thing in addition to whatever help it might give the OP.

This is the 2nd thread about getting "the best". He has been advised.
If he’s looking for the absolute best, he's going to be disappointed because there is no singular best lawyer out there for everyone. Also, even the best attorney can only do so much for a client — a lot depends on the particular facts of the clients situation. A lawyer can't turn crap into gold anymore than anyone else can. :p

Justaguyguy

If there is, it's well hidden as I've never seen such a site or listing of trustworthy rankings of all lawyers in the country or even in the jurisdictions in which I practice. There are handful of divorce attorneys in each place I practice who have a well known reputation among attorneys for being very good divorce attorneys (and who also, generally, charge higher fees than most, as a result of that reputation) and there are some others whom I know personally as being pretty good (and more reasonable rates). I give a list of both those groups to clients who ask for referrals to divorce attorneys. But I couldn't tell you how good or bad most of the other attorneys where I practice are and I have never seen any rankings of them that I would consider very reliable.

I can find out (and so can the public) which attorneys have been sanctioned by the state Supreme Court for misconduct, and of course I recommend people generally stay away from those attorneys unless, perhaps, the misconduct was not very serious and happened some time ago since people can learn from their mistakes. I also would stay away from the divorce lawyers (at least where I practice) who aggressively advertise, especially the ones that seem to make promises of outcomes or say things like they are "bull dog" lawyers. Those types tend to run a high volume business premised on quick settlements and not very good client service. Many good lawyers do marketing, but you can get a sense of the ones that might be the more suspect ones by the way in which they advertise. (Classy marketing, on the other hand, is no guarantee they are good, of course.)

In the end, though, the best way to find a good lawyer (or doctor, CPA, architect, etc) is by referrals from people you know who have had experience with them.
Perfect example. This was a very valuable response. Thank you, Taxing Matters!

quincy

:) I always get what am looking for and one of the ways that I do that is to ask the same question, sometimes at different times and in different places. Gold sometimes hibernates. I have a list about 28 lawyers in my area I want to talk with, however, it’s a true challenge to know who really is going to go to work for you and who is going to simply fulfill the professional requirement to get the minimal amount of work done. When it comes to the most gorgeous 1 year old little girl you have ever seen, I will stop at nothing to find the absolute best council possible.
It will be a task for you to whittle down the 28 lawyers to just one. I recommend you start making appointments with the top attorneys on your list. Have a list of questions to ask the lawyers when you meet with them - and keep track of the time.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">