• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking Competent Attorney - What to look for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Montana State.

I am seeking an attorney for a few things in particular. I need a solid business contract written up, need advice on protecting my property (i.e LLC, non-profit, entity), and guardianship papers for children.
I understand these are all different topics and am trying to find an 'all in one' attorney... although I will get separate attorneys if the quality of their work is better. Do I look for high ratings of some sort? Is the highest priced usually better or not? Do you seek one with the most paralegals? Do I get free consultations until I find one that seems diligent?
If anyone has experience, suggestions, or pointers I sure would be grateful.

quincy

Montana State.

I am seeking an attorney for a few things in particular. I need a solid business contract written up, need advice on protecting my property (i.e LLC, non-profit, entity), and guardianship papers for children.
I understand these are all different topics and am trying to find an 'all in one' attorney... although I will get separate attorneys if the quality of their work is better. Do I look for high ratings of some sort? Is the highest priced usually better or not? Do you seek one with the most paralegals? Do I get free consultations until I find one that seems diligent?
If anyone has experience, suggestions, or pointers I sure would be grateful.
All of the ideas you list are good ways to find a good attorney although the least helpful is perhaps looking at attorney rating sites and reviews as these are not always reliable.

You could start by asking friends or family if they know any good attorneys or check your state’s Bar for business law attorneys practicing in your area (https://www.montanabar.org). You can also check if an attorney has been publicly disciplined through the Montana Bar site.

You can do a preliminary screening by calling the attorney offices to see how the attorneys/attorney assistants conduct themselves on the phone. Ask about their areas of specialty and their rates.

Make appointments with several attorneys. Some attorneys will offer free minutes for a cursory review of the facts and to answer a few questions. Ask if the initial consultation is free and, if so, how many minutes are scheduled for the initial consultation. Wear a watch so you can keep track of the “free” time.

You should prepare for an appointment by researching the attorney online, preparing a list of questions not answered by your research, and outlining what you want the attorney to do for you. Try to stick to basics. If the attorney needs you to expand on any area, s/he’ll ask for additional information.

Experience is more important than cost - although cost may reflect experience. The highest priced attorneys are not necessarily the best attorneys.

Make sure you feel comfortable with the attorney. A personality clash can make a working relationship difficult.

You can probably find other suggestions on finding good attorneys by doing a simple internet search.

Good luck.

Last edited:
All of the ideas you list are good ways to find a good attorney although the least helpful is perhaps looking at attorney rating sites and reviews as these are not always reliable.

You could start by asking friends or family if they know any good attorneys or check your state’s Bar for business law attorneys practicing in your area (https://www.montanabar.org). You can also check if an attorney has been publicly disciplined through the Montana Bar site.

You can do a preliminary screening by calling the attorney offices to see how the attorneys/attorney assistants conduct themselves on the phone. Ask about their areas of specialty and their rates.

Make appointments with several attorneys. Some attorneys will offer free minutes for a cursory review of the facts and to answer a few questions. Ask if the initial consultation is free and, if so, how many minutes are scheduled for the initial consultation. Wear a watch so you can keep track of the “free” time.

You should prepare for an appointment by researching the attorney online, preparing a list of questions not answered by your research, and outlining what you want the attorney to do for you. Try to stick to basics. If the attorney needs you to expand on any area, s/he’ll ask for additional information.

Experience is more important than cost - although cost may reflect experience. The highest priced attorneys are not necessarily the best attorneys.

Make sure you feel comfortable with the attorney. A personality clash can make a working relationship difficult.

You can probably find other suggestions on finding good attorneys by doing a simple internet search.

Good luck.
Great. Thank you for being so detailed... are you an attorney by any chance? ;)

quincy

Great. Thank you for being so detailed... are you an attorney by any chance? ;)
I am a volunteer just like all of the other members of this forum.

Regardless of any member’s stated qualifications, whether an attorney or not, NO advice or information offered on a forum by ANYONE takes the place of advice and information offered you by an attorney in your own jurisdiction that you have hired to represent you.

That said, you’re welcome. I appreciate the thanks. :)

quincy

There are several “site-vetted” attorneys on this forum and there are also members who are attorneys but not site-vetted and they do not post as attorneys. In order to claim you are an attorney on this site, your credentials must be verified by the administrators of FreeAdvice. The majority of contributing members are not attorneys, however, although they may work in some capacity with the law.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Do I look for high ratings of some sort?
Some ratings can be a bit useful, others are worthless. Reviews also can be kind of useful, though it is worth bearing in mind that it tends to be those that are unhappy that post reviews on review sites more than those who were satisfied.

Is the highest priced usually better or not?
The fee rate is not a great indicator of skill. While a higher rate might suggest someone good if clients are willing to pay it, it may be that the attorney is really not that great or that you can find someone just as good with a lower fee.

Do you seek one with the most paralegals?
No. The number of paralegals the firm has tells you nothing about the lawyer's skill. Nor does it matter how posh the attorney's offices are, what kind of car he/she has, or any of those other superficial trappings that society equates with success. I know some attorneys who make really good money but are actually terrible lawyers. Unfortunately most of their clients don't know that those lawyers are not good. They get pulled in by advertising, or big law firm name, or whatever and don't bother looking at the qualifications of the actual lawyer that they are thinking of hiring.

Do I get free consultations until I find one that seems diligent?
Certainly you should check out several attorneys to find the one you are most comfortable hiring.

The best things to look at would what kind of background and experience the lawyer has in the kinds of matters you need help with, time in practice, whether the attorney has ever been sanctioned by the state attorney regulatory agency (in Montana that is the Office of Disciplinary Counsel (ODC)), and referrals from friends, co-workers, etc who have had good results with a lawyer. The state bar association may be able to provide you a list of attorneys that practice in the areas you need to assist you in finding the right one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">