• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seizure of personal property by employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ScottyH

What is the name of your state? Washington

My employer ( a large oil company) placed tv/video/dvd equipment in our lunch rooms 15 years ago, in order to view safety-related videos. Since that time we employees have used the equipment to view our own movies on our own unpaid time ( at lunch). Today the company did an unannounced raid on our lunch rooms and seized dvd's owned by employees. They also removed the tv equipment.
They stated that the movies they seized violated the company's ethics rules, claiming that the "R" rating on these movies constituted inappropriate content. (there were no sexually explicit videos, the "r" was for adult themes only, such as Flags of our Fathers).There is no mention of anything other than "inappropriate content" in the company's code of conduct rules.
The HR department claimed that we can get our dvd's back if we go to HR and get them - but we'll also get letter of reprimand for bringing inappropriate content into the plant.
Can they legally keep these dvd's, and if not can I call the local police to file a theft complaint?
Thanks for any help
Scotty

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since they have provided you with the option of going to HR and getting them back, if you fail to do so it's on your own head. It's not that they are "keeping" them; it's that you are not retrieving them. That's legal. You're not going to get far with a theft complaint since they've made it clear that all you have to do is go get them.

Ozark_Sophist

I'm the only one in my family who saw "Flags of our Fathers" because of the violent and bloody depictions of war in the movie. I can safely say this movie is inappropriate material for any office--other than a private one where people have a right to leave as opposed to a lunch room.

That being said, Flags is an excellent movie. The book is better.

In addition, I know some people who because of religious and/or moral reasons refuse to watch any 'R' rated movies, regardless of content.

pattytx

What I don't understand is how the employee could possible think that watching R-rated movies was appropriate in the workplace, lunch period or not. :eek:

This could have been all avoided if you'd asked first.

Just Blue

What I don't understand is how the employee could possible think that watching R-rated movies was appropriate in the workplace, lunch period or not. :eek:

This could have been all avoided if you'd asked first.
Gee...I know that when I have my soup and salad, I just LOVE watching someone getting their head blown off!! :eek: :rolleyes:

ScottyH

Thanks to all who replied - although I must admit I was looking for legal guidance, not a judgment on my fellow employees' viewing habits. Thanks all the same.
Scotty

pattytx

I must admit I was looking for legal guidance, not a judgment on my fellow employees' viewing habits. Thanks all the same.
Scotty
Um, you DID get legal guidance. It's just not the answer you wanted. The rest, we just threw in for free! Oh, the legal answer was free, too. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">