• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selectively PayOff smaller (DISCOVER CC) debt before filing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA
Thought I'd check before spending the very last of my cash & still have enough for an atty. (as I have no paycheck coming in... I'm freelance until I find FT Job)
Q: Wanted to know if I should PayOff this CC? Or would this create more problems? I've heard from Ladynred DISCOVER sues, that's why I'm considering @ least ending it w/ them now.
( a bit of the history)
I received three letters, First was one w/ a FREE long dis. PHONE CARD stating that they would settle my acct. for 40% of what I owed (but I had no $) so I could not meet their 5/20/06 deadline... Second letter stated if I did not call them they may secure LEGAL REP. to collect if I did not contact them.

Today I recieved the Third letter from Discover. This one is a low quality zerox-type letter from a "Law Office" in a neighboring city... this one is for collections & slightly threatening further Legal Action if nothing is done within 30 days...

Q: Was thinking of trying to settle/pay. See if I could pay the orig. offer of 40% of OD which was offered.......... not even sure if they would now. Is this alright?

Thanks for any feedback or input.

Last edited:

Ladynred

Nope. Any payment you make to ANY creditor of $600 or more within the 90 days before filing would be considered PREFERENTIAL and the Trustee could demand that money be returned.

Ladynred ~ "nope" means NO... so...

Don't pay Discover anything. Alright. WOW 90 DAYS! (BTW: just got a call on the phone re: a "deal" that would save me $2k (on $4.5k OD) if I called them back. Guess they know I have zero assets & NO income anymore).

So I'll have to beat them to the punch then, as I'd like to avoid any judgements before filing CH7.

Do you know if Discover usually serves a summons? REALLY serves a summons... & not just say they did so I would be likely to "not show" & LOSE. Also, If a Summons is served, can I FREEZE everything by Filing?

I ask this as I'm trying to find an atty etc. (need a bit more time).

I know this may seem lame, but I'm waiting to file until the very last moment. Zero $ in my bank acct & no real paycheck currently so I'm not worried of a frozen account etc...
Also, are there any final "indicators" of a REAL SUIT?

Thank You for you help.

Ladynred

Yes, Discover REALLY serves a summons, they don't fool around.

Don't want until the very last minute, you may miss the deadline. Lawyers are swamped now, I wouldn't wait much beyond 9/15, if that, 9/1 would be safer.

Thx Lady... I will file before end of Aug.

Guess my BK will just become a bit more complicated if I get served. I'll suck it up...

Do all proceedings including "Court Dates" get frozen once BK papers are filed? (even when not an Emergency Filing).

~ Cheers

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">