• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sell a car w/ expired registration?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? CA

I moved to California from Indiana about 8 months ago. Last month my Indiana titled and registered vehicles' registration tags expired. The title for the car is in my name. I also do not have insurance on this vehicle. I would like to sell this car to a private party residing in California, is it legal to do so w/ expired registration? Thanks for your replies in advance, -Jeff
Last edited:



Yes, you can sell it to them, but you are liable for the smog. The buyer will have to pay reg fees and tags or you can both split that or whatever, but the big thing is the smogging in California. It is up to the seller to make sure the car is smoggable before selling it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential