• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller did not pay old water bill.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EKravitz

When we bought our house six months ago (in New York, Westchester County), our lawyer obtained a final read on the water bill from the utility, as he was supposed to do. The sellers gave us a check for this amount and all seemed well. However, one month after we moved in, we received a notice of an unpaid water bill for the period immediately preceeding that of the final read. I contacted our lawyer who said I should go ahead and pay the bill and that he would contact the sellers' attorney for restitution, since they are legally responsible. In any event, five months have gone by, and our attorney said he is getting the run around from the sellers attorney...unreturned phone calls, promises of checks sent, etc.

My question is, should I insist that my attorney pay us and let him wait for the collection? Isn't paying him good money to represent us at the closing supposed to ensure that we are not out money like this? What was the purpose of our attorney getting a "final read" from water company? If the water company screwed up, it doesn't seem to me to negate the debt owed by the seller, but either way, shouldn't my attorney make me whole?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Elliot Kravitz

E

EKravitz

Is it appropriate/legal to ask our attoney to pay us and tell him to collect? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">