• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a collector car through consignment dealer with no contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joz

Oh, sorry, I don't get notified for replies.
Things are going from bad to worse. I know, it's hard to read a long post so I'll try and hit key points only.
They offered me two choices. The dealer would buy the car at $61k or the "mystery" buyer and I net $60,900 (my net profit). I told them, I'd sell it for $64, we split it at $62.5 and get the deal done on Monday and all agreed. Ops, now they say, they agreed, only if the alleged buyer bought it. OK, I gave them another week. Didn't buy it. They claim now, another person wants to buy it. But, I told them, I'm picking it up Monday and "what do I owe?" I expected, from the original phone conversation, $350 for inspection and consignment, $100 for detail and photos ( They did do extra detailing on paint), and "around $100" for shipping the car to them. A friend that worked at a Lotus dealer said "paint correction" detailing runs from $500 to $700. A week ago, they agreed to waive the storage fee (guessing because they forged my signature on the contract), so I'm thinking my cost to get my car back at $1150. They're first invoice to pick up the car (1.5 weeks ago) was just over $2000. Today, it's over $3700. They added back storage and increased the shipping fee. Also added repairs that they never told me about. I am beyond pi$$ed. Now, they don't except credit cards.
Can I threaten them with a felony? They said, they still buy my car at $61K ( I had bids to $67k in the past, before the paint correction). Can I threaten them with extortion? I feel like I have to sell it to them, or I lose even more $$. Will they have to pay legal fees? Can I sell my car to them, "then" sue them? I've had this car for 20 years and it was my retirement. Funny (not funny) they still say, they need more time....

quincy

It might be time to have an attorney send them a letter on your behalf, detailing what you expect to happen and when and stating that, if they do not comply, legal action against them will be considered.

Joz

So, it looks like I'm selling them my car at their price tomorrow. I can't afford a legal battle at this time, or accrue more expenses with the car. I don't have $3700 to get the car back and I have a heloc that I'm paying $250 a month in interest on, (I can pay it off when I sell the car). I can also do repairs on our rental houses and get tenants in them, finally (remember, I retire early based on rental income). If I did get the car back, it would take some time to get it photographed and sold and it's now the rainy season here in CA.. And the amount I would have to sell it for, to make up for the expenses, keeps going up. Per the dealers website, you can contact them with any issues you had with a deal. I will do that and ask for compensation, or, as you say, have an attorney write them a letter. Then, there is the BBB, and I'm on a few international car forums that I can post my experience. So, I'm trying to look at the bright side but still feel gutted (and cheated) for selling my long time car for so cheap. Quincy, Thanks for all your responses and interest in this issue. That, also make me feel better. I will check into a letter from a lawyer and maybe get some $$ back from the difference in what was said and what they ended up saying. Thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">