• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a unregisterable vehicle to ex spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?NY

Hi, I have a truck that my father gave me for my spouse to use, it's a stick and I can't drive it, but it's in my name, and I have a car that's mine. Well, we weren't using the truck so I let the insurance lapse, in the meantime I got very ill and was in the hospital and had several surgeries, long story short, NY motor veh. suspended the registration b/c it lapsed 90 days. (I'm not from here and didn't know it couldn't just sit w/ no insurance) anyways, I want to just sell the truck, my husband and I are currently seperated and since the title is in my name but I can't register it for 90 days (65 days now) can I sell it to him for book value of $600 and just have him do it? Or will they not let him register it either? Anyone know about this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential