• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling drugs to minors overseas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

messer

This summer I helped lead a youth trip to Guatemala. I didn't have a contract and the group only helped cover my airfare and then paid for my expences while the group was there. The only piece of paper I signed was one saying that I wouldn't use drugs or alcohol. In Guatemala I bought some of the youth weed because they didn't speak Spanish and drank with them on a couple of occasions. While we were there no one got caught, but without my knowledge one of the kids smuggled back weed seeds from the weed I bought them. Luckily he wasn't caught by customs but he was caught by his mother, who told the whole story to the group. They now want me to pay them back for the airline ticket and expences ($1,600), which I'm sure they cannot do. I want to make sure that I don't risk being taken to court for something like selling drugs to minors even though it was overseas. Furthermore, if there is that risk, should I just pay the money or try to fight it?

I'm from Washington State which is also where the group was from if that is relavant.

Thanks for the help!

JETX

messer said:
They now want me to pay them back for the airline ticket and expences ($1,600), which I'm sure they cannot do.
Yes they can.

I want to make sure that I don't risk being taken to court for something like selling drugs to minors even though it was overseas. Furthermore, if there is that risk, should I just pay the money or try to fight it?
Of course no one can answer that question for you.

HomeGuru

messer said:
This summer I helped lead a youth trip to Guatemala. I didn't have a contract and the group only helped cover my airfare and then paid for my expences while the group was there. The only piece of paper I signed was one saying that I wouldn't use drugs or alcohol. In Guatemala I bought some of the youth weed because they didn't speak Spanish and drank with them on a couple of occasions. While we were there no one got caught, but without my knowledge one of the kids smuggled back weed seeds from the weed I bought them. Luckily he wasn't caught by customs but he was caught by his mother, who told the whole story to the group. They now want me to pay them back for the airline ticket and expences ($1,600), which I'm sure they cannot do. I want to make sure that I don't risk being taken to court for something like selling drugs to minors even though it was overseas. Furthermore, if there is that risk, should I just pay the money or try to fight it?

I'm from Washington State which is also where the group was from if that is relavant.

Thanks for the help!

**A: the Feds like to bust idiots like you.

This took place out of country so the feds cannot do **** about it. I would just wait for them to take you to small claims court.

HomeGuru

Hopkins306 said:
This took place out of country so the feds cannot do **** about it. I would just wait for them to take you to small claims court.

**A: oh brother......not another one.

Just Blue

messer said:

Thanks for the help!

Please do not procreate.

JETX

messer said:
This summer I helped lead a youth trip to Guatemala. I didn't have a contract and the group only helped cover my airfare and then paid for my expences while the group was there. The only piece of paper I signed was one saying that I wouldn't use drugs or alcohol. In Guatemala I bought some of the youth weed because they didn't speak Spanish and drank with them on a couple of occasions.
Lets see... you claim to be a leader, agreed to no drugs and no alcohol, yet did drugs and alcohol.....
and now can't understand why the people who paid for your trip are pissed and want to be reimbursed.
Your post shows you are an idiot.... we just didn't realize how big a one.

Son of Slam

How the hell is anyone stupid enough to post a message on the net admitting to committing a crime? Yet, this happens over and over here. I guess if they had any brains they wouldn't be criminals.

messer

Yes, clearly I am an idiot, but that's not what I'm wondering about. I don't think I should have to pay back the $1600 because if we did have an oral contract as they claim all they could do is terminate it. If a dishwasher is caught smoking pot on the job and his boss finds out he has always been high on the job all he can do is fire him, he can't ask for the wages he paid back, especially if it wasn't wages but simply expences to do the job. I do understand that they could take me to court if the courts have jurisdiction. That is what I am wondering, do they have jurisdiction because we were out of the country?

I'm also only 18 and the youth I was "leading" were 17.

JETX

Lets use your own example. Say you are an employer and hire a dishwasher. However, the dishwasher doesn't know how to wash dishes. So, you decide to pay $500 for him to go to dishwashing school. In order for him to go, he promises, in writing, to NOT do anything illegal... and to not bring embarassment to your restaurant by doing drugs and/or drinking alcohol.

Contrary to his own WRITTEN promise, he goes out and acts like an idiot, breaking the rules he agreed to keep. Do you demand your $500 that you spend for him to go to the school?? Damn right you do.
Do you have the right to legally force him to repay you by litigation?? Possibly. No one knows since we haven't read the EXACT terms of the written agreement.

smutlydog

messer said:

Thanks for the help!
If I were a parent of that child I would take civil action against the youth group and you. Demanding $1600 back would be an insult to me as a parent. You said that you helped lead a youth trip but it doesn’t sound like you were really there to help. You abused your position of power and betrayed the trust of the children and parents. I don’t know why you were so interested in traveling with children but it seems kind of fishy to me.
I would also contact the police in that country and file a complaint with the US Feds. It probably wouldn’t result in anything but I would at least try. It would be nice to see you extradited to a 3rd world country to stand trial.

kretinus

smutlydog said:
I don’t know why you were so interested in traveling with children but it seems kind of fishy to me
What a freaking idiot, an 18 year old traveling with 17 year olds sounds suspicious? Suspicious how? Are you saying an 18 year old showing an interest in 17 year olds sounds like a pedophile?

Someone should turn you into as a paranoid delusional threat.

smutlydog said:
I would also contact the police in that country and file a complaint with the US Feds. It probably wouldn’t result in anything but I would at least try. It would be nice to see you extradited to a 3rd world country to stand trial.
It would be nice to make sure people like you don't ever have access to guns. We're talking about 17 year olds, not children. Funny how you seem to think he "corrupted" anyone, it sounds like they were "corrupted" before they ever left and he had nothing to do with it. The parent needs to remember that her "child" most likely signed the exact same form, she's part of the problem.

But reality stinks, you screwed up, you got nailed, pay it back and move on and remember there are always going to be *******s out there, most of them parents wanting to nail other epople for the bad behavior of their own children.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">