• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling equipment to former employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cooper@1960

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I retired in June 1st, 2018, I have a lot of tools I will never use again and offered to sell them to my former employeer. They agreed to purchase everything but told me since I was a past employee and have a payroll ID number they would have to issue me a 1099 at the end of the year.

Is that correct? Value of the tools is around $2500. At this point wouldn't I just be another guy off the street selling something? I will need to adjust the asking price if I will pay taxes on the proceeds.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I retired in June 1st, 2018, I have a lot of tools I will never use again and offered to sell them to my former employeer. They agreed to purchase everything but told me since I was a past employee and have a payroll ID number they would have to issue me a 1099 at the end of the year.

Is that correct? Value of the tools is around $2500. At this point wouldn't I just be another guy off the street selling something? I will need to adjust the asking price if I will pay taxes on the proceeds.
Even if you were just another guy off the street selling something, they'd have to issue a 1099.

(Congratulations on your retirement!)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd also like to point out that the receipt of a 1099 doesn't automatically make you liable to pay tax on the money you received.

adjusterjack

I'd also like to point out that the receipt of a 1099 doesn't automatically make you liable to pay tax on the money you received.
Especially since he's likely to be selling the tools for a lot less than he paid for them.

Ok, thanks for the info. And thanks for the congratulations, retirement is a wonderful thing!
I know.

Alternative:

Take the stuff home and sell it on Craigslist. No 1099.

LdiJ

Even if you were just another guy off the street selling something, they'd have to issue a 1099.

(Congratulations on your retirement!)
Just as an FYI, a business does not have to issue a 1099 to everyone that they pay more the 600.00 to...and in this instance, many businesses would NOT issue a 1099 to someone from whom they purchased used equipment. Generally the purchase of hard goods does not require a 1099. There was some push some years back to require companies to issue 1099s to everyone, but it was soon realized that it would be a nightmare to administer and the idea was dropped.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">