• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling my half of a duplex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachrental

What is the name of your state? CA
I co-own a duplex with a partner. I am selling my half to a third party. We have settled on a price but my partner says I must discount this price by the amount of realtor's commission (2.5 % - would be my share) even though we are not using a realtor. We have approx $275,00 equity in the house and owe $675,00. What is the procedure?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

beachrental said:
I co-own a duplex with a partner. I am selling my half to a third party. We have settled on a price but my partner says I must discount this price by the amount of realtor's commission (2.5 % - would be my share) even though we are not using a realtor. We have approx $275,00 equity in the house and owe $675,00. What is the procedure?
Although a realtor is advised, there is no provision in law that REQUIRES a realtor to sell a home.

JETX

beachrental said:
I co-own a duplex with a partner. I am selling my half to a third party. We have settled on a price but my partner says I must discount this price by the amount of realtor's commission (2.5 % - would be my share) even though we are not using a realtor.
Why does he think you are somehow obligated to pay an agent commission.... and to who??
You have NO obligation to pay anyone..... unless an agent by contract.

What is the procedure?
Procedure for what??

HomeGuru

beachrental said:

**A: how does one sell half of a duplex anyway? Is there a chain saw invovled?

seniorjudge

HomeGuru said:
**A: how does one sell half of a duplex anyway? Is there a chain saw invovled?
Just a guess: Maybe he's trying to turn a duplex (kind of building) into a condominium (kind of ownership)?

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
**A: No, I am not joking. That was a real question.
ahhhh.....
In any event, PARTITION is the answer depending on if the poster is talking about the entire building or a simple sales if the poster is talking about a divided building with each person owning their 'resident' half.

Some Random Guy

So now it comes out. Your partner wants you to agree to be a moron and give his sister a better deal by knocking $22,500 off of the price.

I agree with da judge: Tell the partner to bite big rocks.

HomeGuru

beachrental said:
We own it jointly and I am selling my share of the property to a third party (my partner's sister).

**A: then my point is proven, You can't sell half of a duplex.

JETX

I think that this post has gotten confused... and confusing.

The INITIAL post was:
I co-own a duplex with a partner.
He and his 'partner' each own half of a duplex PROPERTY!!

I am selling my half to a third party.
He is selling his half of the duplex PROPERTY to his partners sister.

We have settled on a price but my partner says I must discount this price by the amount of realtor's commission (2.5 % - would be my share) even though we are not using a realtor.
Tell your partner to stick it!! You do not have to offer him or his sister a discount on the property. Sell it to them at the price YOU want to sell... or keep it and sell it to someone else. Let your partner deal with an UNKNOWN 'new' partner!!

We have approx $275,00 equity in the house and owe $675,00. What is the procedure?"
Very simple. After all the math, you have a JOINT equity of $400,000. If you want to sell your half, do it for the $200,000.... your share of the equity, less any associated costs (appraisal, closing, etc,), plus 50% of the pre-paids.

Personally, I wouldn't offer a realtor agent commission... unless one was involved in the sale.
Look at it this way.... this 'sister' deal may very well be a way to allow your partner to get 100% ownership (and even more likely since he is the one demanding the discount). Why would you want to give your partner an agent fee..... to buy his own property??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">