• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling my share/ownership stake in LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvise1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hello,

Myself and a friend started a LLC in 2007 to operate a gas station in GA.

Now, I am getting out of the business and me and we have come to an agreement.

I am signing over a Bill of Sale in return for a personal check dated 10 days after the Bill of Sale.

The Bill of Sale will mention that my current partner's wife's name is buying out my share of the LLC and that I will be personally indemnified by him and his wife for any debts, bills associated with the LLC's and its operations.

Do I need to do anything else? Do I need ot ensure that my name is completely off the LLC? if so, how? Is it safe to sign a Bill of Sale in return for a personal check (that will be documented in the Bill of Sale) dated in the future?

Thanks!

I personally would want my name completly removed from the LLC. I also would want the funds on the date of the exchange. If they are using the BOS to get a loan to buy out I can understand that as well, but I would feel better with a cashiers check or bank check.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hello,

Myself and a friend started a LLC in 2007 to operate a gas station in GA.

Now, I am getting out of the business and me and we have come to an agreement.

I am signing over a Bill of Sale in return for a personal check dated 10 days after the Bill of Sale.

The Bill of Sale will mention that my current partner's wife's name is buying out my share of the LLC and that I will be personally indemnified by him and his wife for any debts, bills associated with the LLC's and its operations.

Do I need to do anything else? Do I need ot ensure that my name is completely off the LLC? if so, how? Is it safe to sign a Bill of Sale in return for a personal check (that will be documented in the Bill of Sale) dated in the future?

Thanks!

**A: wow, way off.

tranquility

Yes, see an attorney.

Just because you are indemnified for debts by the other party(s) does not mean you are off the hook for them.

Selling of a business is a complex activity. Don't do it with homemade forms and a handshake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">