• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling screenshots?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

obijon

South Carolina

I run a Microsoft Flight Simulator fansite and would like to create/sell a calendar featuring screenshots (print screens) from the game. Here are my questions:

1. Are screenshots copyrighted by the program creator (Microsoft), or by the person capturing the screenshot?

2. Will I run into any copyright trouble making a profit on said screenshots?

3. Should I print copyright info at the bottom of each image?

Thanks!

divgradcurl

Looks like you are in the clear:

"Screen Shots
Microsoft does not object to third party use of screen shots of our software products in advertising, on product packaging and documentation, in books and other printed matter, on video tape, in tutorial software applications, on World Wide Web pages, or in television programs, commercials, movies ("Your Product"), so long as the use is not disparaging and provided you adhere to the following additional guidelines which may be amended from time to time. If your use falls within these guidelines, no further written permission will be required and will not be forthcoming. If you need assistance interpreting these guidelines, please seek the advice of your own copyright attorney.

You may NOT use the following type of screen shots:
Screens from beta products or unreleased products;(Please note that when the product has released to the public, you may proceed if you follow these posted guidelines).
Screens that contain photos and other images directly denoted by company name, trademarks, logos, etc.
Screens of media clips (e.g. Microsoft® Net Show, Microsoft® Windows Media Player)
Please further note that Microsoft Corporation does not grant permission to use third party content contained within screen shots and therefore makes no representations or warranties."

http://www.microsoft.com/permission/copyrgt/cop-img.htm#ScreenShot

I looked it up on the MS website because I was curious myself...

O

obijon

Thanks! I had no idea it would be on their site or I would have tried myself :eek: That's good to know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">