• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

semi truck accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tnumpire

I was involved in a one vehicle tractor trailer accident. I was the driver and considered an independent contractor by the truck's owner. The truck was leased to a company with ICC authority (for hire). On a wet road in Missouri (speed limit 70, I was doing 65[same speed as others or slower]) the tractor lost traction and went into the wet grass where I could not regain control and the truck and trailer rolled over. The truck, trailer and load were a complete loss. I was extracted from the vehicle, taken to the hospital,treated and released. My question is who is responsible for my medical bills. I still have not been released to work again and may not be able to drive anymore as my doctor is concerned as to why I fall asleep for apparently no reason. Also the truck owner has not paid me my last paycheck and refuses to talk about my last paycheck or my medical bills.(The truck was fully covered by comp,collision). Can you give me some guidance. At the time now I am in fear of losing my house and declaring bankruptcy because we can't pay our obligations. Thank you in advance.

P

peter

YOU ARE! as an independent trucker YOU must pay for your own insurance,

The pay you recieved was HIGHER then normal to cover your costs of benefits.

BUT what was your schedule like? How many hours did you work and were you free to work for another company too? IF so then you would be considered indepenent.

But if you boss FORBID you to work for anyone else....you could have a big lawsuit against your boss for not hiring you as an EMPLOYEE!

Do you pay for "rent" the truck per day, like a taxi does?

we need more details...

==============================

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tnumpire:
I was involved in a one vehicle tractor trailer accident. I was the driver and considered an independent contractor by the truck's owner. The truck was leased to a company with ICC authority (for hire). On a wet road in Missouri (speed limit 70, I was doing 65[same speed as others or slower]) the tractor lost traction and went into the wet grass where I could not regain control and the truck and trailer rolled over. The truck, trailer and load were a complete loss. I was extracted from the vehicle, taken to the hospital,treated and released. My question is who is responsible for my medical bills. I still have not been released to work again and may not be able to drive anymore as my doctor is concerned as to why I fall asleep for apparently no reason. Also the truck owner has not paid me my last paycheck and refuses to talk about my last paycheck or my medical bills.(The truck was fully covered by comp,collision). Can you give me some guidance. At the time now I am in fear of losing my house and declaring bankruptcy because we can't pay our obligations. Thank you in advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">