• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sending debt to collection agency without notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbweggman

Washington, DC.

Today, I received the letter from collection agency; it stated that my college fraternity turned over my debt to collection agency. I was frankly upset and suddenly followed up with my treasurer. Here's the story:

I am a current graduate student; I involved the college fraternity when I was an undergraduate. When I became an alumnus in February 2014; my chapter treasurer transferred my debt to Alumni Corporation Board (ACB). My treasurer from ACB and I agreed that I will pay $25 per month to pay off my debt; he will send my debt to collection agency if I do not pay after 2 months.

However, he did not notify me that he turned over my debt to collection agency. I was frankly upset and asked him what made him sent without letting me know. He was like "too bad! it is your responsibility!" I have been paying every month, but he did not receive my last two payments from June and July. However, I did not know that it was not transferred and he did not say a word about it. I told him that it probably was not transferred due to errors, but he refused to believe me.

Eventually, I got several letters from OmegaFi from Spring 2014; he told me to disregard any letters from OmegaFi because that program is not authorized to send my debt to collection agency without his permission.

I would like to know if he violated my consumers' rights to be informed for dishonest and misleading and to be heard for not following up with me. If you have any proofs that he violated my consumers' rights, please share the website links. Many thanks!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You knew that the debt would be forwarded to collections if they didn't receive two payments in a row and then you didn't pay two payments in a row.

And you're a grad student? :rolleyes:

Washington, DC.

Today, I received the letter from collection agency; it stated that my college fraternity turned over my debt to collection agency. I was frankly upset and suddenly followed up with my treasurer. Here's the story:

I am a current graduate student; I involved the college fraternity when I was an undergraduate. When I became an alumnus in February 2014; my chapter treasurer transferred my debt to Alumni Corporation Board (ACB). My treasurer from ACB and I agreed that I will pay $25 per month to pay off my debt; he will send my debt to collection agency if I do not pay after 2 months.

However, he did not notify me that he turned over my debt to collection agency. I was frankly upset and asked him what made him sent without letting me know. He was like "too bad! it is your responsibility!" I have been paying every month, but he did not receive my last two payments from June and July. However, I did not know that it was not transferred and he did not say a word about it. I told him that it probably was not transferred due to errors, but he refused to believe me.

Eventually, I got several letters from OmegaFi from Spring 2014; he told me to disregard any letters from OmegaFi because that program is not authorized to send my debt to collection agency without his permission.

I would like to know if he violated my consumers' rights to be informed for dishonest and misleading and to be heard for not following up with me. If you have any proofs that he violated my consumers' rights, please share the website links. Many thanks!

latigo

Gosh, I wish I knew of any "website links" that could tell you whether or not your "consumer right's to be informed and misleading and to be heard for not following up with you" have been violated.

[SUP](Did you compose that bit of cretinism all by yourself or was it a joint effort with another graduate student that also has 4th grade communication skills?)[/SUP]

justalayman

However, he did not notify me that he turned over my debt to collection agency.

sure sounds like you actually were given notification

but it really doesn't matter anyway. He could have hired a collection agency to collect the debt anytime he so chose simply because you did not pay the debt when due.

and to make it a bit messier; he could have hired a collection agency to do the original billing as well if he really wanted to so in effect, a CA would be who was collecting on the debt from day one.

jbweggman

You knew that the debt would be forwarded to collections if they didn't receive two payments in a row and then you didn't pay two payments in a row.

And you're a grad student? :rolleyes:
Yes! I am a grad student!:)

Yes, I knew that the debt would be forwarded to collection agency; in fact, I paid last two payments, but they defended... They refused to believe me that it was errors. Is that violating my consumers' rights?

jbweggman

Gosh, I wish I knew of any "website links" that could tell you whether or not your "consumer right's to be informed and misleading and to be heard for not following up with you" have been violated.

[SUP](Did you compose that bit of cretinism all by yourself or was it a joint effort with another graduate student that also has 4th grade communication skills?)[/SUP]
It is really nice to meet you. I see that you decided to make fun of people who use English as second language. Yep, English is not my first language.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes! I am a grad student!:)

Yes, I knew that the debt would be forwarded to collection agency; in fact, I paid last two payments, but they defended... They refused to believe me that it was errors. Is that violating my consumers' rights?
They didn't receive your payments. You already said that they weren't sent.

TigerD

No. They did nothing wrong -- legally speaking that is.

The whole frat system is morally bankrupt, but since you are paying for it, you knew that already.

DC

CSO286

They didn't receive your payments. You already said that they weren't sent.
And making sure they were sent is YOUR responsibility, OP. Not anyone else.

When I do automated payments each month, I do them early enough so that if there is any "glitch" with them, I can still get the payment made in the month it is due. AND I check on the payments. Sounds like this is your oversight, your problem. Not theirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">