• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Senior Life Insurance Concern

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KerriGrant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi, my uncle recently passed away and although he was ailing the circumstances surrounding his death are unclear and questionable. Two relatives moved in with him in the last two months and cut off contact with him from my mother and I who previously spoke with him on an almost daily basis and visited him monthly at least. How can I find out if this couple made him take out a Life Insurance policy assigning them as beneficiaries in the last few months, they haven't been allowing us to enter his apartment so we can't search for anything. Thanks.

Dandy Don

Check at the county courthouse surrogate court to see if anyone has filed papers to open up probate for his estate.

If no one has filed, someone from the family can file to become executor or hire an attorney to do it, which would give the executor legal authority to enter home and handle all other matters regarding the estate.

At some point you are going to need a probate attorney and/or family law attorney so you need to get one as soon as possible. It looks like some type of elderly financial abuse may have occurred. There is no where for you to search for the life insurance policies right now but your attorney at some point may be able to find something out after they have looked at his personal papers or gone through the probate process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">