• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SEP IRA/401(K) Notification/

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dinkerbelly

BACKGROUND:

Recently terminated after six years of employement from small company (>25 employees) in VA which had been in business about 10 years. Owner promised small starting salary would be offset by benefits, specifically 15% SEP IRA contribution. Same SEP IRA contribution made every year until 2002 (just before I became elligible). Owner apparently did something fishy w/changing fiscal year costing(?) vested employees six months of benefits (again, before I was elligible, but others felt injured).

Mid. July 2003 - given employee handbook detailing benefits specifically SEP IRA (no specific contribution amount notated). 15% assumed by older employees because it had always been, was promised from hire date, etc. 15% reasonably surmised by statement that benefits cost employer additional 25% of salary ($60/mo. parking, up to $100/mo. ins. premium, three weeks leave + 15% = about 25%)

Early August 2003 - Presented with "beefed up" non-compete and employment agreement.

Mid August 2003 - Owner calls meeting to announce that no contribution would be made due to lack of profits. Owner wrote self $75K check that same day.

Exit Interview 9/28/04 - Inquired about retirement benefits due to have been settled July 2004. Informed plan had changed to 401K, then hurried out the door.

QUESTIONS:
Does the promise of 15% and the handbook alluding to same constitute some sort of contract, especially considering the timing of non-compete/announcment? And, if it had not been promised/expected, why call meeting? No law mandates payment into SEP.

Can I find out if owner invested 75K in company sponsored plan? If so, do we have some recourse for recovery?

401K... when should I have been given notice of change? Have drafted letter requesting any company sponsored retirement plans for 2002-2005. What next?

Also, fired two days short of 92 day quarter. Team leader announced a month earlier that we were 90% of goal and our 500 quarterly bonus checks were "as good as written". Handbook states all accrued benefits shall be paid, but no check. Suggestions?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for any advice!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">