• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SEP-IRA employer obligation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbelle

What is the name of your state? CA

Two years in a row after becoming eligible for the SEP-IRA at my place of work (a small company that recently incorporated) I have received generous contributions to the account from my employer. This year I have had a great deal of grief from the VP/bookkeeper/benefits person (it is a small office) who is my direct supervisor. Our personalities are not especially compatible and she is particularly vindictive. So far this year my usual very generous holiday bonus was half of what it normally is and I have recieved no notification of employer contribution and no explanation as to why.

Is the company obligated to notify me if they have decided to forgo contributing for any period of time and also are they obligated to tell me the reason they have opted out, ie: bad sales, etc. Am I within my rights to inquire whether other employees have received contributions this year? Is it legal to withhold SEP-IRA contributions on the basis of performance?

Thanks in advance...cbelle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">