• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SEP-IRA max limit for 2019

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGB

What is the name of your state? IL

I was making 100K until 2018 and was contributing 25K towards SEP-IRA as employer contribution through my S-Corp.

In 2019, I made 50K. How much max can I contribute as employer contribution?

Thanks!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? IL

I was making 100K until 2018 and was contributing 25K towards SEP-IRA as employer contribution through my S-Corp.

In 2019, I made 50K. How much max can I contribute as employer contribution?
Because you are operating as a S-corporation you are an employee of the corporation and the rules for employer contributions for employees applies. For 2019 the limit for contributions by the employer are stated in IRS Publication 560 as follows: "Contributions you make for 2019 to a common-law employee's SEP-IRA can't exceed the lesser of 25% of the employee's compensation or $56,000. Compensation generally doesn't include your contributions to the SEP. The SEP plan document will specify how the employer contribution is determined and how it will be allocated to participants." So if you were paid exactly $50k in 2019 the limit the employer may contribute for you is 25% x $50k = $12,500.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">