• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate Income and Separate Property on Community Property claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

queryous

State of California

I have a hypothetical situation to better understand the nuances of Separate (Pre-Marital) and Community (Marital) Property with regards to shared interest income.

Scenario:
-A person is single and has $50 Million invested in Treasuries and a house.
-Said person falls in love and gets married.
-Person keeps the $50 Million in Treasuries as separate property (perhaps held in a revocable living trust to distinguish intention to keep separate).
-The house is shared with spouse and becomes community property.
-Person's sole income is the interest earned from separate property.

Question?
My understanding is that the interest income from separate property stays apart if it is not shared AND that it becomes community income when it is shared. However, does this open a door to transforming the separate property itself into community property? Will the spouse have a claim to the separate property?

Thanks in Advance

Just Blue

State of California

I have a hypothetical situation to better understand the nuances of Separate (Pre-Marital) and Community (Marital) Property with regards to shared interest income.

Scenario:
-Person keeps the $50 Million in Treasuries as separate property (perhaps held in a revocable living trust to distinguish intention to keep separate).

Question?
My understanding is that the interest income from separate property stays apart if it is not shared AND that it becomes community income when it is shared. However, does this open a door to transforming the separate property itself into community property? Will the spouse have a claim to the separate property?

Thanks in Advance
Is this for homework?

LdiJ

State of California

Scenario:

Question?

Thanks in Advance
My understanding is that the interest income can be considered to be income accrued during the marriage and therefore community property. That doesn't make the separate property become community property.

queryous

Is this for homework?
Attempting to better understand how premarital separate assets can remain protected in cases where couples choose not to go down the pre-nup agreement route in Community Property states.

My understanding after research shows that some states (Idaho, Louisiana, Wisconsin, and Texas) regard income to be considered marital income. Nothing published goes into detail about this scenario. Most cover the simpler cases of commingling of accounts, etc.

For disclosure, I don't have $50M. If I did, I would retain the services of legal counsel :^).

Thanks for the interest.

queryous

My understanding is that the interest income can be considered to be income accrued during the marriage and therefore community property. That doesn't make the separate property become community property.
Thanks for the response.
Your info matches what I've read earlier today about the matter.
It seems that Separate Property income, when "gifted" to be shared as marital income is transmuted if the intent was shown as such.
I was just wondering in case a marriage goes sour and heads down the path of divorce, whether the opposing spouse's counsel had legal grounds to go after the other's separate property.

Thanks again!

Litigator22

State of California

Scenario:

Question?

Thanks in Advance
You are correct in that in your state the interest income from a married person's separate property "stays apart" from the community estate. (See: California Family Code Chapter 2 Separate Property Section 770 (a)(3)

However, no transmutation occurs simply by reason of the mutual sharing of the separate estate and/or its emoluments. Therefore no "legal doors" are thus opened to the non-owning spouse. Not per se.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">