• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separating but sharing custody of kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wholeangelada

My husband of almost 19 years and I are separating. He is moving out soon but wants the kids half the time. Until papers are filed and the court is involved how do we go about sharing custody in the mean time? I live in Colorado.

Just Blue

My husband of almost 19 years and I are separating. He is moving out soon but wants the kids half the time. Until papers are filed and the court is involved how do we go about sharing custody in the mean time? I live in Colorado.
How old are the children? How close together do you and your STBX live?

LdiJ

How old are your children?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the end of the day, you can share custody any way you can agree to. The children's ages and the distance between you will factor into what type of schedule will be best suited to their best interests. You should both also think long term, as the schedule will likely end up being the status quo, assuming the children adjust well to it.

I hope the two of you can work together for their sake. Two involved parents are always better.

LdiJ

The reason I asked the age of the children, is because if they are teenagers you should be looking at a somewhat different approach to the situation than if they are younger. Their wishes should be taken into consideration to some extent. They should not get to decide, but their wishes should be taken into consideration. They are going to be upset and perhaps resentful of the situation to start with, if they feel that they have absolutely no say about their lives going forward, you could have them walking out of both your lives at age 18.

Older kids though tend to deal better with an every other week situation when its a 50/50 timeshare. Older kids also do better when the two parents commit to living close enough together that the every other week has little to no impact on their school or social lives.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">