• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation agreement in NY, mother moved to PA and filed it as a divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trow28

My wife and I separated many years ago while we were living in New York State. Part of the agreement was that she could move to PA to be closer to family. She took residence in PA then filed the New York State separation agreement as a divorce decree in a county court house in PA. She has re-married and remained in PA ever since. I have moved to Texas for work. I visit my son once a month, he comes to Texas for a month each summer and he and I spend Easter and T-giving and one week over christmas break with my mother in PA. He turned 18 in December and graduated HS in May.

I was advised by my lawyer that the separation agreement would most likely not hold up in PA and child support and custody would default to PA rules.

The tricky part is that PA rules call for support ending when the child turns 18 or graduates which ever is later. NY rules stipulate that support continues until he is 21. The agreement was written in NY and therefore states (part of the sep agreement form document) that support and custody rules would fall under NY jurisdiction. The divorce decree states that we are divorced under the terms of the sep agreement.

You can probably see where this is going. I stopped payments in June and she wants to file for a court order in NY for me to continue to pay support until he is 21.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? Will NY honor the PA divorce decree? Is there something I can do through the PA courts to stop her?

It get's worse, on top of the 1k per month she wants me to pay her in support, she only wants to pay 3k of the 30k per year towards his college. He will be living on campus, living in the dorm and eating at the cafeteria. So where does the other 9k go?

trow28

lol, god please tell me we are not still married. She filed for divorce in PA and the NY separation agreement became the divorce decree. Might be using the wrong terminology but essentially we are divorced under the terms of the separation agreement.

LdiJ

lol, god please tell me we are not still married. She filed for divorce in PA and the NY separation agreement became the divorce decree. Might be using the wrong terminology but essentially we are divorced under the terms of the separation agreement.
I understood what you meant. Your wording was a little convoluted but I understood it. I would consult with an attorney in PA, local to where the divorce was filed. Technically I think that you probably did agree to child support to age 21 but since it was a PA divorce it might be modifiable. A local attorney would be in a better position to advise you.

PayrollHRGuy

That isn't what you wrote here.

She took residence in PA then filed the New York State separation agreement as a divorce decree in a county court house in PA.
That sounded to me as if she somehow got a PA courthouse to think that as a divorce decree.

LdiJ

That isn't what you wrote here.

That sounded to me as if she somehow got a PA courthouse to think that as a divorce decree.
She filed the separation agreement to get the divorce decree. Its not an unusual thing to happen in some states.

trow28

Yeah my bad, I wasn't very precise in my language.

LdiJ, I'm working to find someone right now. I'm also going to consult a NY attorney so that I will have someone ready in case she goes to the NY court before I have a chance to get the agreement amended.

Actually, I was looking at some of the language of the agreement and I might not even need an amendment, maybe just a clarification? It states in several places that THIS AGREEMENT shall be governed by the laws of NYS.

We agreed that I would pay child support on a sliding scale over the first couple of years while she got back on her feet. The language shows end dates for each amount on the scale and the final sentence is "Effective and commencing January 1, 2003 through April 30, 2003, child support shall be paid at the rate of $1,000 per month." That's the very last line of the support section. Based on that, the jurisdiction of the agreement over child support ended on April 30 2003.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How about you dig out a copy of your divorce decree and read what it says.

If it says that child support will go until 21, then it goes to 21. Regardless of what an individual state guidelines are for child support, if you two agreed to something else, and it's more than state guidelines would normally yield, that's your agreement.

However, neither one of you live in NY, and if the divorce was finalized in PA then I don't understand why NY is still involved.

By the way, what does the divorce decree say about college expenses?

trow28

Yeah, that's the complication right there. The PA divorce decree does not stipulate anything, just that we are divorced and "The court retains jurisdiction of any claims raised by the parties to this action for which a final order has not been entered or which have not been settled by agreement". We do have an agreement which is a separation agreement from NYS and states that THE AGREEMENT is governed by state laws, but does not stipulate an end date. Details of that are in my previous post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">