• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation - can you still live together in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbella

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

If you file for separation in New York State is there any way that you can still live under the same roof? I read the FAQ's and it said "generally" one person has to move out of the house. The reason for living together would be financial only.

Thank you!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There is nothing that prevents a couple who are legally separated from living in the same house. That's perfectly fine.

SMS3ACE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

If you file for separation in New York State is there any way that you can still live under the same roof? I read the FAQ's and it said "generally" one person has to move out of the house. The reason for living together would be financial only.

Thank you!
Seperation agreement, is only for Marriage Purposes. To indicate that couple needs time and space to work things out. You can stay together, or apart is your choice. It just changes your marital status.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seperation agreement, is only for Marriage Purposes. To indicate that couple needs time and space to work things out. You can stay together, or apart is your choice. It just changes your marital status.
A married couple who decides to live apart is still married. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Agree, They are still married but it is a change of marital status to Married - But Separated.
That is not a change in marital status. They are still married.

I understand that you are not in the Middle East, as indicated previously. Where exactly ARE you located?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">