• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation of Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Maryland

my husband separated from a longtime girlfriend approximately four years ago. they resided in Oklahoma at the time. they had two pieces of jointly titled property: (1) a home with substantial equity; and (2) a truck, which my husband currently has. thier break-up was precipitous and acrimonious so no agreement was ever reached regarding the division of jointly held property. my husband's position was that he would waive any claim to any equity in the home, if he could have clear title to the truck. they could never agree on anything and the last communication between them on this subject was from the ex-girlfriend who stated that her uncle, who is an attorney, advised her of a way to legally sell the home without my husband's signature. it appears that the home was sold more than a year ago and we have no idea how to contact her.

two questions: (1) my husband wants to sell the truck, but his ex-girlfriend's name is still on the title. is there anyway to legally get her name of the truck, short of getting her signature, so that the truck can be sold? and (2) could she sell the home legally without my husband's signature if it was jointly titled?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential