• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation terms of agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tethyka

What is the name of your state? Oregon
My sister lives in this state, it's not a common-law marriage state that I'm aware of but she's been with someone for ten years who took advantage of her and her money. He is now agreeing to pay her a certain amount per month but that's based on his word and his mood. Is there any way we can get him to get it "in writing" and how would it be gone about to do so? Would it stand up in court?

E

Edgar 1776

I'd just go to the Police if he has stolen money from her.

tethyka

At this moment he's her only source of income, if he's out, she's homeless. It's a little complicated...

adjusterjack

He is now agreeing to pay her a certain amount per month but that's based on his word and his mood. Is there any way we can get him to get it "in writing"
She can ask.

But what makes you think a scumbag like that would put anything in writing?

Would it stand up in court?
Maybe. Depending on how it's written. A lawyer should advise her.

I'd just go to the Police if he has stolen money from her.
Almost a given that the police won't get involved in a domestic dispute over whether the money was a gift, loan, theft, or contribution to the household expenses.

At this moment he's her only source of income, if he's out, she's homeless.
Then she needs to find a job.

It's a little complicated
Not really. We see it here all the time. People make foolish mistakes about relationships and suffer the consequences.

tethyka

Thank you for such a well-informed reply. I didn't know where we should start. I'll tell her today. I want to avoid said mistakes. Again, thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">