• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoanMcGwyn

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am seperated, at the time of the seperation, 13 months ago, my husband signed a seperation agreement. He chose not to consult an attorney, even though I told him he should get someone, he quit claimed the deed to the house over to me and we had an agreement of him paying a specific $ amount every month until the house was sold, which needed considerable work which has not been completed yet. He filed for divorce after the 12 month waithing period and now has changed his mind over about everything, wants 1/2 the house, my car,(he got his), my 401k and retirement accounts and alimony. My question is, he signed the agreement, he's a mortgage underwriter and deals with deeds every day he is also a notary. The deal is that he committed adultry multiple times, he also was into "swinging" and going to sex clubs and engaging in group sex etc. I found all out and he offered to leave the home. So what is the likelyhood that he can get out of the agreement he signed and I will loose my home ?

LdiJ

JoanMcGwyn said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am seperated, at the time of the seperation, 13 months ago, my husband signed a seperation agreement. He chose not to consult an attorney, even though I told him he should get someone, he quit claimed the deed to the house over to me and we had an agreement of him paying a specific $ amount every month until the house was sold, which needed considerable work which has not been completed yet. He filed for divorce after the 12 month waithing period and now has changed his mind over about everything, wants 1/2 the house, my car,(he got his), my 401k and retirement accounts and alimony. My question is, he signed the agreement, he's a mortgage underwriter and deals with deeds every day he is also a notary. The deal is that he committed adultry multiple times, he also was into "swinging" and going to sex clubs and engaging in group sex etc. I found all out and he offered to leave the home. So what is the likelyhood that he can get out of the agreement he signed and I will loose my home ?
Was the separation agreement done legally?....filed with the courts and signed off on by a judge? If so, I think he would have a hard time backing out of it now. If you don't have an attorney, you need one.

JoanMcGwyn

Seperation agreement

It was done by my attorney, I do have an attorney and she told him that he could take the agreement and have it notorized elsewhere. There is also language at the end of the agreement that says that he should seek his own legal counsel and that she (my attorney) did not advise him or act as his counsel in any way. He actually said to me when he read it that "she really covered her A&*" The document was read over by him, he asked for a couple of minor changes to be made, he initialed the changes and signed 3 copies of the agreement, he initialed each page as well as signed each at the end, he did this in front of a notory. He signed the deed over to me a week later at another attorneys office. The seperation I do not believe was recorded at the court, my attorney said in MD that only needed to happen if we were going for a limited divorce which at the time we were not. He abided by all terms of the agreement for a year and then changed his mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">