• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Served summons while in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Hello,
My friend is currently in jail. His wife has filed for divorce and in sing for full custody and support for their one child. The summons was delivered to the jail on 1-21-20. It said in the paperwork that he needed to submit defense within 20 days or else it will go through. He was just given these papers today 2-14-20. My question is was it 20 days from when the jail received the papers or 20 days from when he got them? If it was 20 days from when the jail received them, is there any way this can be combated? He is not objecting the divorce he is not wanting to give up his rights to his daughter.

LdiJ

Hello,
My friend is currently in jail. His wife has filed for divorce and in sing for full custody and support for their one child. The summons was delivered to the jail on 1-21-20. It said in the paperwork that he needed to submit defense within 20 days or else it will go through. He was just given these papers today 2-14-20. My question is was it 20 days from when the jail received the papers or 20 days from when he got them? If it was 20 days from when the jail received them, is there any way this can be combated? He is not objecting the divorce he is not wanting to give up his rights to his daughter.
Mom getting full custody would not sever his parental rights. It means that the child would primarily live with mom and she would have the decision making rights. He can still file for parenting time once his legal issues are resolved. However a divorce attorney could certainly help him if he can afford one.

Just Blue

Hello,
Why does he think Mom getting full custody means that he will have his rights taken away? What is he in jail for? How long is he expected to be a guest of the state of Kentucky?

ETA: Is the friend you are posting about here the same one you posted about before? If so, Mom will very well get full custody as your friend is violent.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/sentance-calculation.658052/

Last edited:
Hello,
Thank you for your guys time. I want to say that no the wanton endangerment was no where near his wife or child. He just wanted to make sure that full custody didn't mean no rights. The specifics of his arrest was very weird. He is estimated to be in jail for another year. Any help is much appreciated. I am curious, if a default judgement is granted will he be racking up a child support bill while in jail?

Just Blue

Hello,
Thank you for your guys time. I want to say that no the wanton endangerment was no where near his wife or child. He just wanted to make sure that full custody didn't mean no rights. The specifics of his arrest was very weird. He is estimated to be in jail for another year. Any help is much appreciated. I am curious, if a default judgement is granted will he be racking up a child support bill while in jail?
What is the endangerment charge related to?

As it is his own action(s) that landed him in prison it is very likely that he will accrue arrears while in there. When he is released he will have to go back to court for visitation...depending on the specific's of his criminal history, he may only receive supervised visitation.

The wanton endangerment has to do with a neighbors kid that was in a house and far from my friend. Thank you for your time.

Just Blue

The wanton endangerment has to do with a neighbors kid that was in a house and far from my friend. Thank you for your time.
Well...As your friend has a criminal history of felony endangerment of children, it is unlikely he will receive anything other than supervised visitation.

Thank you for your help and telling me straight out. Even if it is disheartening. My friend really is a good guy just made a mistake 2 years ago. He has straightened up his life a great deal in the last year. He has plans to do things completely different when he gets out. If this is what he has to deal with because of his past actions. It will be a constant reminder to make good decisions for himself and to set a good example from a far for his daughter. The main issue is that the mother is worse than my friend. She just hasn't been arrested.

Just Blue

Thank you for your help and telling me straight out. Even if it is disheartening. My friend really is a good guy just made a mistake 2 years ago. He has straightened up his life a great deal in the last year. He has plans to do things completely different when he gets out. If this is what he has to deal with because of his past actions. It will be a constant reminder to make good decisions for himself and to set a good example from a far for his daughter. The main issue is that the mother is worse than my friend. She just hasn't been arrested.
Do you know the mother?

Yes, I know the mother. I would say even with the mother it is less than ideal circumstances for the child. Although, legally speaking I don't know that their is anything that I or anyone else can do about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">