• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serverance Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkikuyu

What is the name of your state?KENYA-EAST AFRICA
I worked for an American NGO called the CARTER CENTER, founded by President Jimmy Carter, until the 31 August 2005.
I had a fixed contract of one year that was renewable. I joined the organisation in December 2003. My first contract came to an end on 31 August 2004. I signed another contract with the same terms on 1 September 2004.

According to my contract I was entitled to severance pay. Thus at the end of my first contract I would have received a severance pay equivalent to one months salary. This serverance pay wasn't given to me.

On completion of my second contract, I have not received any serverance pay to date. My contract wasn't renewed because the Carter Center was closing its offices in Nairobi.

Currently, I am in a dilemma.

1. The only Carter center office open in Kenya cannot pay me my severance pay as it is a logistics office. What should I do in such a case?
2. Since I wasn't paid my first severance pay at the rate of the salary I earned in 2004. What compensation would I be entitled to?

Thanks in advance

Beth3

You are a Kenya citizen, correct? The question is whether the terms of the contract are enforceable in Kenya. You'll need to consult with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">