• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service Dog in Training and Housing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kijosiren

What is the name of your state? California

I have an 8 mo old "pitbull" puppy that I have been training to assist me with symptoms of PTSD, and later I was going to train him to help with my balancing issues.

I was told this last week that because he's a "pitbull" for insurance to be happy, he would have to be fully serviced through the state. Letters from my Dr wouldn't count, he can't be an "in training" dog. According to the ADA, I am able to train my own service dog. And, unless I misread something, SDiT have the same protections in California that a fully certified service dog would.

Taking him places isn't an issue. The only people that have an issue with him is the insurance company for the apartments I live in.

Just Blue

I have an 8 mo old "pitbull" puppy that I have been training to assist me with symptoms of PTSD, and later I was going to train him to help with my balancing issues.

I was told this last week that because he's a "pitbull" for insurance to be happy, he would have to be fully serviced through the state. Letters from my Dr wouldn't count, he can't be an "in training" dog. According to the ADA, I am able to train my own service dog. And, unless I misread something, SDiT have the same protections in California that a fully certified service dog would.

Taking him places isn't an issue. The only people that have an issue with him is the insurance company for the apartments I live in.
What formal training have you had to train your dog?

quincy

A service dog "in training" is not recognized as a service dog under the ADA, although some state or local laws could provide dogs-in-training with some of the same allowances given fully trained dogs.

Your apartment and your insurance provider will not be in violation of the ADA until your dog has completed training.

Kijosiren

A service dog "in training" is not recognized as a service dog under the ADA, although some state or local laws could provide dogs-in-training with some of the same allowances given fully trained dogs.

Your apartment and your insurance provider will not be in violation of the ADA until your dog has completed training.
It's not the ADA. It's the state.

What I said about the ADA is that I am allowed to train my own dog.

I don't know of a single disabled person that can afford $10,000-$60,000+ for a service dog. That would leave a lot of people that need one without one.

quincy

It's not the ADA. It's the state.

What I said about the ADA is that I am allowed to train my own dog.

I don't know of a single disabled person that can afford $10,000-$60,000+ for a service dog. That would leave a lot of people that need one without one.
Yes. You are allowed to train your own dog.

Kijosiren

So, is what my landlord doing because of his insurance company legal? If not, what can be done about it that won't land my family homeless again?

Kijosiren

I have been to that site before. The only laws it goes over are for fully trained service dogs.

That's why I registered and posted here.

Eekamouse

Pit bulls are an aggressive breed and lots of places ban aggressive breeds. Your dog could potentially attack another dog or another human being and who do you think will be responsible for those lawsuits? I firmly believe that any dog can be a good dog and any dog can be a bad dog. It depends on their upbringing what kind of dog they grow up to be. However, certain breeds have the potential to be vicious and pit bulls happen to be one of those breeds.

Just Blue

As an aside: If I were working for the insurance company I would REALLY question the "training" of a dog if the owner, who has no training of his/her own, were to do it.

Kijosiren

1. There is no such breed as a pitbull (according to the AKC), it is an umbrella term for 20 or so different breeds.

2. Dogs considered by most to be "pitbulls" are like any other dog. You raise them with gentleness and love, that's how they'll be. The ones taught to be aggressive are raised by idiot owners that don't see any dog as a living being.

3. All of this crap about pitbulls was started by the media to give them something to warmonger about. Did you know that chihuahuas bite a lot more often than dogs considered to be "pitbulls"?

Going with my heart on this. What they're doing to me and my pup (who was being trained for my PTSD, then when he was done growing, I was going to train him to help with my balancing issues) is wrong.

I have the right to train my own dog.
I have the right to have one in the first place.
Any breed can be a service dog.
I should have the right to train him in my home.

SDiT are protected in the state of California.

I need to know what I can do about it that's not going to jeopardize the roof over my kid's heads.

Kijosiren

As an aside: If I were working for the insurance company I would REALLY question the "training" of a dog if the owner, who has no training of his/her own, were to do it.
Here's the thing. I have trained dogs before. I'm just not certified. Plus CALIFORNIA LAW PROTECTS SERVICE DOGS IN TRAINING. Regardless of the fact that as an insurance agent you'd question my ability, it is my right.

Besides, why don't they ask that dogs Not serviced have a temperament test done, no matter the breed. There are not certain breeds that are more likely to bite than others.

quincy

You can show them the law that permits you to have a service dog in training, inform them that you are allowed under the law to train your own dog, and the law that says there is no restriction on breed of dog for service dogs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">