• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

serving a summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My name is jaime and I live in silver spring maryland. I am cross sueing someone in small claims court. I filed for private process and i want to know if i can send it through the mail as long as i get a receipt from the post office stating when it was delivered because i can't fin d anyone to deliver the papers for me? Or, can I change the way i want to have the defendant servedd?


Senior Member
In Maryland:
"The Summons and Complaint are sent to the defendant by certified mail, restricted delivery, return receipt requested, unless you ask the sheriff to serve (deliver) the papers, or unless you wish to have the papers served by a private process server"--any person over 18 years old not directly involved in the case, who will deliver the papers personally and return to the Court an affidavit that he or she has completed service. If the Court or sheriff has attempted to serve the defendant without success, you will be notified. You may then, for an additional fee, renew the Summons and attempt to serve the defendant. You may decide to give the Court a different address for the defendant or try another method of service."

So, according to the above, you can return to the court and renew the Summons and have it served by any of the allowed methods.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential