• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serving OSC . Can I blank out my address?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The non biological father is incarcerated and I have to serve a Order to Show Cause for Change of Name . This guy is very problematic and he’s very scandalous and I do not want my address to show on the documents(on his copy) I contacted the deputy who has to serve him and he doesn’t know if I could do that.. can I send the deputy the papers with my address blanked out to serve the guy in prison?. I will NOT call him her father because he is biologically not and was never there for her .

What is the name of your state? California

Just Blue

The non biological father is incarcerated and I have to serve a Order to Show Cause for Change of Name . This guy is very problematic and he’s very scandalous and I do not want my address to show on the documents(on his copy) I contacted the deputy who has to serve him and he doesn’t know if I could do that.. can I send the deputy the papers with my address blanked out to serve the guy in prison?. I will NOT call him her father because he is biologically not and was never there for her .

Did he adopt your child? If not...how did he become legal father? Is there an court orders? How old is the child and why do you want to change childs name.

This, BTW, is a Family Law matter and the question should really be in that section.

quincy

Do you have a restraining order against the father? Is he incarcerated for a domestic violence crime?

If so, you can provide any address where you can receive mail. It does not have to be your home address.

quincy

I think you would need a court order to be able to keep your address secret.

Otherwise, get yourself a PO Box.
A street address is required. Unless there is a restraining order in place or there is an attorney to fill out the top portion of the form with his address (and a few other exceptions like gender change or witness protection), a street address is necessary.

There must be an address where court documents can legally be served.

Here is a link. Check out point number 5.
https://www.courts.ca.gov/22489.htm
And here is a link to information on the "Safe at Home" program (and who is eligible):
https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc400info.pdf

Last edited:
No I don’t have a restraining order on him I haven’t talk to him in over 11 years but when we were together there was some problems and I almost lost my housing and he’s messy like that. Using my address or something for his parole or popping up when I don’t want to see him Again he is not the biological father he was never a parent

Just Blue

No I don’t have a restraining order on him I haven’t talk to him in over 11 years but when we were together there was some problems and I almost lost my housing and he’s messy like that. Using my address or something for his parole or popping up when I don’t want to see him Again he is not the biological father he was never a parent
Is he listed on the birth certificate? If so...How did he get listed as the father if he didn't adopt the child nor father her biologically?

quincy

Look over the "Safe at Home" exceptions for addresses. If you do not qualify for an exception, you might want to hire an attorney to submit forms for you.

I really don’t understand all that drama I simply don’t want my address to be shown to him on the documents when I serve him

LdiJ

I really don’t understand all that drama I simply don’t want my address to be shown to him on the documents when I serve him
You have to follow the rules. You either qualify for an exemption or you don't, and if you don't, the advice to hire an attorney is the best advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">