• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement check... when to cash it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cwendland

California

Hi, I live in a condominium, and about a year ago, a new washing machine that I had broke down and flooded my apartment and several adjacent areas. I contacted my insurance company, and they successfully subrogated my claim to the washing machine's manufacturer.
However, my insurance company never paid out the costs of cleaning the adjacent areas, so this was not included in the subrogation.
I contacted the manufacturer for reimbursement of my expenses not covered by my insurance, and I received a check from them for the amount I sent in.
My question is this: The Homeowners Association for my building was affected, and is going to submit a bill to the manufacturer for cleaning of it's area. If I cash the check the manufacturer sent me for my expenses, do I assume responsibility for the cost of the HOA (or other area's) cleaning, as the manufacturer may say this claim was "settled" with me?

ALawyer

I do not know what the laws and court decisions of your state provide in this area, and I do not know what you signed as part of the process, but I would sure suggest that you ask your inurance company and also ask the homeowner's association's lawyer to tell you. The homwowner's association or its carrier could in theory come after YOU.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">